Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single Mode Laser Diodes

Aha, I knew that CCD cameras can't see at 1500nm because I researched it, but had not come across this converter you linked to which can be used with one to make it see that low before, thanks.

Last edited:

I have someone offering me nubm44 pulls for 80 dollars and I wonder if it's VG posing?

The best unit price holding 7 I have found is 575.00, I just don't see it.

That's cheap, I don't know. Where is he contacting you through to offer you that deal?

Mike, your profile says you are a electrical engineer and that is your current profession, I'm trying to make sure you aren't a previously banned member who has been using proxies to make several new member names. Forgive me, but I've been googling to see, only found one other man in your city by your name who is a real estate agent, so I have not been able to confirm you aren't that guy yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newcon-LAM-...662111?hash=item3a97f72e9f:g:pi8AAOxye3BRq3Jr

It seems government contractors have been read the FDA rules and are now afraid to sell to civilians directly.

B.E. Meyers Izlid-1000P Long-Range IR Laser sight w/ Rail-Mount SALE D428P-A1-1

https://adsinc.com/online-catalogs/weapons-and-optics/b-e-meyers-izlid-1000p/

http://bemeyers.com/product-category/pointing-illumination/

http://tnvc.com/shop/izlid®-1000p-infrared-laser-anpeq-18/

It's using an expander to gain distance most likely as it brags dual purpose area illumination at a twist, could be replicated.

I can understand wanting to avoid export during war time, but that's been in effect, I think there may have been a policy change concerning the 5mw limit adherence, that should be bypassed by the area illumination dual purpose, next we will have flashlight restrictions.

Last edited:
If you really want something you can't buy, and it can be made with readily available materials, I'd just build one. I don't think it is illegal to own something like that, just illegal to sell to the general public. I can find a lot of IR illuminators on the net, even if you can't get those.

MikeSD

Mike I thought you were a returning banned member so I was goofing around, I do preach safety a lot because I think it's important.

I would recommend 1550 diodes to be eye safe and use a ccd to view, our military uses IR targeting every day, but it's eye safe, not 808 or 910 anymore. They laze targets at night and only they can see the dot via their night vision.

They are available on ebay, you don't need all that much power, you must have seen them.

The name calling seemed out of character, but marines do swing first, he tricked me until I thought about the IR sight in my safe I bought on ebay. DUHH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YEA I'M a little slow tonight, how could MIKE not know about available ir sights?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair enough. I've been on lots of forums and had to deal with banned members.

If you really want something you can't buy, and it can be made with readily available materials, I'd just build one. I don't think it is illegal to own something like that, just illegal to sell to the general public. I can find a lot of IR illuminators on the net, even if you can't get those.

I'm not sure it's actually "illegal" to sell to civilians, as in laws that make them illegal. More of a business license thing. It's kind of like the new drone regulations. It used to be legal to fly drones without a license. Now they have to be registered. A little different. A business that sells high power lasers can surely sell to academic organizations or other businesses, I suspect.

The ironic thing is, they make it more dangerous, by not allowing direct sales. For instance, some of the high power ones have built in protection that doesn't allow direct turn on, without some sort of code being entered. The ones I have built can be turned on by anyone, so they have to go in my safe, to prevent a grandkid from finding them and turning them on. So the FDA has made things more dangerous.

Last edited:

MikeSD

Mike, your profile says you are a electrical engineer and that is your current profession, I'm trying to make sure you aren't a previously banned member who has been using proxies to make several new member names. Forgive me, but I've been googling to see, only found one other man in your city by your name who is a real estate agent, so I have not been able to confirm you aren't that guy yet.

Understand completely.

You will notice my email, if you can see it, ends in msdsite.com. That is my domain. You can also search for ipscone. EVERY instance of that on the internet is me. ;)

I also have a couple of websites but don't know if publishing them is a no-no. I'll send you a PM. It includes my phone number.

And you can search ipscone on Facebook, and Twitter to find me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, welcome to the forum, my apologies for suspecting you as our sock puppet who keeps making ID's, that's the problem when you ban someone who is willing to do that, now his revenge is making some of us question everyone new.

MikeSD

Thanks Mike, welcome to the forum, my apologies for suspecting you as our sock puppet who keeps making ID's, that's the problem when you ban someone who is willing to do that, now his revenge is making some of us question everyone new.

Well, I do tend to draw fire, regardless, especially from the left. Kind of outspoken, if that's not obvious. ;) Check me out on Twitter sometime. ;) I go by @ipscone

ipscone being a reference to IPSC. I used to shoot competitively, from 1986 to about 1996. I have a 3 digit life membership in the USPSA.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with weapons except from when I was in the USCG from 1975-80, don't even own anything now. My hobby used to be ham radio EME or moonbounce, today it's just lasers. I am particularly interested in IR, what is it you want, something to spot a target with for shooting, or just an illuminator?

MikeSD

My hobby used to be ham radio EME or moonbounce, today it's just lasers. I am particularly interested in IR, what is it you want, something to spot a target with for shooting, or just an illuminator?

Another thing we have in common, and another way to check me out. KC7VE (Advanced) and on QRZ.com. Mostly on IRLP nowadays.

I'm looking for targeting (i.e. a sighting mechanism). I guess illumination might be the next thing. But just looking to extend the range. Why? Why not?

I'm looking for a dot sight, like in this video

My existing one goes out 100+ and maybe out to 500, for all I know. But longer is better. Or is that bigger is better. I keep forgetting. ;)

Like my intro says, I got into this, because I found out I couldn't buy an IR greater than about 5mW. I'm not fond of the concept "you can't have" for things that are not illegal. ;)

Last edited:
Who was it?

It was a PM so I will pm you and you can ask him, I don't want to cramp anyone's style.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from MikeSD: I'm not fond of the concept "you can't have" for things that are not illegal.

We feel the same way on that Mr. SD, I have way more 855 than I could carry on my back at once just because they tried to say I can't have it, not according to their definition, the bastards really pi$$ me off.

Last edited:
I bought some single mode IR laser diodes to play around with which should work well for that purpose at 250-300mw output, they have an extremely small emitter which means when expanded to just a few mm diameter can produce a very small amount of divergence, easily the 1/4 mRad of that IR scope you can't buy, or even lower. Just depends on how much it is expanded. What is the maximum diameter spot size you want at 500 yards? I will see what the numbers calculate at for that distance to figure out what the spot size would be that far away. Call sign here is KL7FB.