Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Single metalens focuses all colors of the rainbow in one point;

steve001

This flat metalens is the first single lens that can focus the entire visible spectrum of light -- including white light -- in the same spot and in high resolution. It uses arrays of titanium dioxide nanofins to equally focus wavelengths of light and eliminate chromatic aberration. Credit: Jared Sisler/Harvard SEAS<br>
<br>
https://m.phys.org/news/2018-01-metalens-focuses-rainbow-possibilities-virtual.html

steve001

That's excellent. Thanks for sharing. Will look more into this when I've got a bit more time. :beer:
Ever since this type of lens came to my attention I've wondered how useful they'd be in laser application?

paul1598419

Interesting, but I don't see a laser use for them. Metalenses will be used to replace stacked lens assemblies that currently take up much more room.

Cyparagon

So this is just an expensive and overly complicated acromatic doublet.

ZRaffleticket

Maybe it's an improvement to the ones we already have?

Could be used for those 3-in-1 rgb diodes that are being developed... But I'm really just grasping at straws

steve001

So this is just an expensive and overly complicated acromatic doublet.
I believe the expression throwing the baby out with the bathwater applies. After the article are more links.

Last edited:

paul1598419

I found it interesting as well, Steve. I always enjoy learning something new and this certainly qualifies. :D

Benm

It could have nice applications in photography - making lens assemblies simpler in design because chromatic aberration is not a problem any longer. In many lens systems a lot of design and complexity goes into that.

For laser application i don't see that much in it as laser light is monochromatic, and we really only use different lenses for different wavelengths because of AR coating, not focal distance differences... unless you were building a projector and need a lens that adjusts the combined beam (say to focus a projected image on a screen for quality video images, not laser show kind of things).

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I'd like to use one to combine R, G and B to make a nice white beam :)

CynicalBrad

I remember reading about these years ago and they were using gold whiskers. They were talking about using them as a replacement for bulky camera lenses but never made anything available. Hopefully some of these pop up as I'd love to play with some myself.

paul1598419

I wonder how they'd perform for beam collimation.

With so many nano elements, it wouldn't surprise me to see it cause a great deal of interference patterns. Some constructive and others destructive.