Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple True White Noise Generator

phenol

that's a service monitor with a spectrum analyzer function, among other things.no idea how much an operational unit would cost (<1k?), but the R&S analyzer above with all options included (preamp, tracking gen, various software licenses for wimax,bluetooth,wifi, etc analyses) easily exceeds EUR20-25k, and that's just their general purpose model. i ordered the preamp option separately for eur1100. it will drop the noise floor to <-160dbm

they demonstrated their newest emi full compliance test receiver+real time specan, a fine looking and working windows-based (just like the small analyzer above) instrument, with a prohibitive starting price tag of eur50k+
im quite happy, though, as they left one of their 6GHz demo units to play with until our own arrives. and now we have two :)

i will build the noise source above, but im somewhat reluctant to connect those 100u capacitors making powerful transients at powerup/down to the delicate frontend of the analyzer. an attenuating/matching resistor pad will keep power levels within safe limits

The 100uF are for good low freq response, you could simply scope the output of the npn pair if you don't mind a bit of DC offset.

phenol

scoping high Z sources with a 50-ohm instrument would skew the measurement results, therefore some matching is in order...ideally, i would probe the low impedance output of lm386 to see the roll-off of both the fet amplifier and the power amp itself, but for some reason im unable to recall where i put those lm386s.
instead, i'll stick an emitter follower after the mosfet and post pics as soon as i find some time.