Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I be skeptical of really cheap goggles?

Jez006

I'm in the UK, so thought I might as well order some from here. These are dirt cheap though, what do you guys think?

£5.09 Protection Goggles Green Laser Safety Glasses

Free shipping aswell!

At this price I'll get 2 spare pairs for mates lol.

Just ordered an optotronics 150mw :D Really looking forward to having my first "quality" laser over the rubbish I've bought before.

Thanks,

Jez

Last edited:

ARG

I would never trust cheap goggles. Unless you can test them to make sure they are good. I would get OEM goggles, or eagle pair.

Jez006

yeh that's what i was thinking...maybe i'll order a pair and test them. if they're crap i've only lost a fiver i guess. if they're good it saves me spending £30+ on well known brands...

yeh that's what i was thinking...maybe i'll order a pair and test them. if they're crap i've only lost a fiver i guess. if they're good it saves me spending £30+ on well known brands...

In a one word response to your original question. Yes. Be very very skeptical, you only get two eyes.

Do you have an LPM and another set of goggles to test these with?

Also with cheaper goggles, they may not be consistent in the protection they offer, meaning one part of the goggles is good, another may be bad. Simply shining a laser through a set of goggles to see what comes out the other side is not a very good test methodology:p

Last edited:

Jez006

In a one word response to your original question. Yes. Be very very skeptical, you only get two eyes.

Do you have an LPM and another set of goggles to test these with?

Also with cheaper goggles, they may not be consistent in the protection they offer, meaning one part of the goggles is good, another may be bad. Simply shining a laser through a set of goggles to see what comes out the other side is not a very good test methodology:p

Unfortunately no, I do not have an LPM or another set of goggles.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as to the test I was going to do...Surely if I shine the laser across all parts of the lenses, and there is minimal light coming through to the other side, then they are okay?

Should I be worried about infrared light passing through?

Jez

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as to the test I was going to do...Surely if I shine the laser across all parts of the lenses, and there is minimal light coming through to the other side, then they are okay?

And how exactly do you judge how much light is passing through the goggles?

The safe limit is 5mW. Even that is an approximation because it require you to blink in order to prevent anymore light from coming through into your eye.

This test you propose is better than nothing... but a bad idea.

Should I be worried about infrared light passing through?

If you are dealing with any dpss lasers (such as green 532nm lasers) there is a fair chance of IR leaking through.

For example I'm selling an o-like green laser right now. It produces ~500mW.

~80mW of that is IR. Meaning that even if you got the best most expensive goggles in the world for 532nm... you would still be screwed if you took a direct hit from from this laser.

Do yourself a favor and just buy decent goggles. When dealing with lasers, you only get two eyes, and no second chances.

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 900-1700nm Laser Safety Goggles

Jez006

And how exactly do you judge how much light is passing through the goggles?

The safe limit is 5mW. Even that is an approximation because it require you to blink in order to prevent anymore light from coming through into your eye.

This test you propose is better than nothing... but a bad idea.

lol ok that's put me off my dodgy test

For example I'm selling an o-like green laser right now. It produces ~500mW.

~80mW of that is IR. Meaning that even if you got the best most expensive goggles in the world for 532nm... you would still be screwed if you took a direct hit from from this laser.

That's poor isn't it? 80mw of IR??

Do yourself a favor and just buy decent goggles. When dealing with lasers, you only get two eyes, and no second chances.

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 900-1700nm Laser Safety Goggles

Two eyes so two chances! Who needs depth perception anyway?

lol point taken i'll get some decent goggles. I've ordered an optotronics 150mw, which apparently has 1 - 4mw of IR but as you say there's no point in risking it.

That's poor isn't it? 80mw of IR??

Two eyes so two chances! Who needs depth perception anyway?

lol point taken i'll get some decent goggles. I've ordered an optotronics 150mw, which apparently has 1 - 4mw of IR but as you say there's no point in risking it.

Actually ~16% ir is not bad for an unfiltered dpss laser. Personally I've seen them range from 3% to as high as 40%. I consider 20% to be average, but that's just my own opinion about unfiltered lasers.

Lol... watch some futurama?:na:

1-4mW of IR is really no problem, but imho those goggles are still a good investment in case you ever get other green lasers that aren't IR filtered.

Jez006

You're completely right... If leela can fly a spaceship with 1 eye..

Get a laser without an ir filter? lol is that specifically for burning things?

Don't worry though shopping around for glasses now.

Last edited:
^^^Nah, most cheaper green lasers aren't filtered. One reason is it's extra work and material costs to put in an filter.

Another reason is, no matter how efficient, an IR filter will block out some green light as well.

Jez006

Ah ok. Also read that the IR filter heats up too...more heat that needs to be dissipated..better heatsinking required, etc..

thanks for all the info +rep (not that you need it!)

Jez006

Those goggles looks like these focalprice goggles.

Laser Promotion Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess

I heard some of them work very well, some not

Thanks for that, it's fairly encouraging. All the reviews are very positive except one, it seems he got a defective pair or something.

The only complaints are that they don't block IR...very tempting to buy a pair at that price but i still don't know if i want to take the risk.

I think i would rather get a pair that I know will also be suitable when i get bored of 150mw and want more :)

Thanks for that, it's fairly encouraging. All the reviews are very positive except one, it seems he got a defective pair or something.

The only complaints are that they don't block IR...very tempting to buy a pair at that price but i still don't know if i want to take the risk.

I think i would rather get a pair that I know will also be suitable when i get bored of 150mw and want more :)

Good idea:)

Either that, or just don't burn with green lasers... which is the approach I took personally.