Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shipping lasers to Australia according to the USPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoever put this out there had no understanding of power as defined in watts, miliwatts and megawatts. It is hilarious that they actually spelled out megawatts instead of just leaving it as MW. That, at least, could have been argued to be a typographical error.

atomd

it's probably meant to be MW for defense or metalurgy power lasers.
Getting MW peak power isn't a problem nowadays.

The point is that handheld laser pointers aren't allowed to be imported or exported by mail into or out of Australia if they are a megawatt in power which we know is not at all true for that country. They have very strict laws against mailing even far lower power lasers pointers there.

Maxwel III

....basically everything and anything that resembles "having fun" or hobbies, recreation etc etc is banned in AU. The above pamphlet illustrates the total stupidity of bureaucrats that pull these regs. outta their collective butts.

More to the point but shipping our hobby items in is easy. Please make sure it is fully dissembled, no battery or charger and no fancy cases, just sturdy bubble-wrap that's waterproof. Declaration can be something like "electrical" or "flashlight"or even "astronomy".

We had a member here that lived in Australia who had all his lasers that he built confiscated. I think it was because he would post photos of each one and described their optical power especially. Don't know what ever became of him there. He might have been arrested, I just don't know.

Maxwel III

Kind of answers the question why so many of us have left.
But with any social media it's a good idea to never show off

julianthedragon

We had a member here that lived in Australia who had all his lasers that he built confiscated. I think it was because he would post photos of each one and described their optical power especially. Don't know what ever became of him there. He might have been arrested, I just don't know.
guess if we see any posts from Australian members showing off their plastic-melting <1mw pointers we’ll know why

Commander J. Bloodmaker

Isn't it amazing how we let these elected officials treat us like children and we put up with it. Not a basis on moral grounds, but complete

control. I don't know about y'all, but If I was going to go on a rampage, a laser would be the last thing I would pick. Just the sheer size of a

laser capable enough of causing carnage is the first turn off. Second, it's power supply would be huge, and if using batteries, even larger with

less capacity than a portable nuke plant. Then add in the fragility of such an item, and well you got garbage for causing carnage. Then add in the

amount of time needed to construct a device and the funds, not to mention the intelligence. Well frankly a laser is a horrible choice for a

terror causing weapon. Then you have to think about the fact you have a fat bright beam( even if you use IR, a simple thermal camera

will point to where you are) leading the people coming to stop you, right back to you.

Then thinking a little more, your cooling system would be massive as well unless you used some kind of ultra fast pulsing to allow it to

cool between shots. Even then, how long can you fire your laser at massive power levels, and still keep the system healthy. If your plan

is to terrorize the public, you would be far more effective with rocks and a slingshot than a laser. Far less weight to lug around with rocks

and slingshot.

If I was going to go through all that trouble for a laser, I would just build a particle cannon. At least then the laser would be useful for

ionizing the path for the particles to accelerate on towards the target. While the system would be just as large, it would be capable of some

damage before being caught. So to conclude this report, build particle cannons vs a laser if you are planning carnage. You will get more

done before they catch you.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rush Limbaugh was murdered by way of an x-ray laser as the deep state wanted him shut down in a way that wouldn't draw attention to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rush Limbaugh was murdered by way of an x-ray laser as the deep state wanted him shut down in a way that wouldn't draw attention to them.

:ROFLMAO: You got to be kidding me. Rush Limbaugh has been around for decades and even though I disagree with everything he says he hasn't been exposed to the real time exposures to violence that Democrats have been from MAGA Republicans.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That does it. I had enough of you guys sneaking in politics. The last time you were lucky EarsandEggs got to you before I did but this is enough. I'm handing out timeouts. Sorry.

EDIT: Commander J Bloodmaker seeing as this is your first time and how you barely mentioned politics you get a day. Sorry can't play favorites.
Redcowboy you get a week. Again I can't play favorites. You and Paul just keep bickering politics. I don't know what else to do. Warnings go in one ear and out the other.
Paul1598419 you get a permaban. I had to repeat myself way too many times with you. While you do sometimes offer a friendly voice to members from time to time you do the worst as well and you argue about it. I must have handed dozens upon dozens of warnings to you and I just don't know what to do anymore. If you feel your ban was unfair you can appeal it on the discord and both mods will discuss and reconsider it. But no guarantees.

I'm sorry about this gentlemen but this is something that needed to be done. If the politics thread has taught us anything is that it cannot be peacefully discussed. It has driven members away and it's removal was a difficult and long thought out decision. Let's just keep politics out of it. It makes people hate each other too much as well. If I'm in error please let me know. I love your feedback.

Last edited:

Commander J. Bloodmaker

That does it. I had enough of you guys sneaking in politics. The last time you were lucky EarsandEggs got to you before I did but this is enough. I'm handing out timeouts. Sorry.

EDIT: Commander J Bloodmaker seeing as this is your first time and how you barely mentioned politics you get a day. Sorry can't play favorites.
Redcowboy you get a week. Again I can't play favorites. You and Paul just keep bickering politics. I don't know what else to do. Warnings go in one ear and out the other.
Paul1598419 you get a permaban. I had to repeat myself way too many times with you. While you do sometimes offer a friendly voice to members from time to time you do the worst as well and you argue about it. I must have handed dozens upon dozens of warnings to you and I just don't know what to do anymore. If you feel your ban was unfair you can appeal it on the discord and both mods will discuss and reconsider it. But no guarantees.

I'm sorry about this gentlemen but this is something that needed to be done. If the politics thread has taught us anything is that it cannot be peacefully discussed. It has driven members away and it's removal was a difficult and long thought out decision. Let's just keep politics out of it. It makes people hate each other too much as well. If I'm in error please let me know. I love your feedback.
Sorry. I was having a bad day and needed to vent. I usually stay out of it and just read and enjoy. I promise you this won't happen very often. I think I did it about a year ago or so too. My daughter died when I did that. I just needed to yell, but had no one to yell at. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.