Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shipping lasers back to manufacturers. Anyone done this before?

Ordered a 150mw purple from rayfoss and it came in broken. Faona has asked me to ship it back before they send out a replacement. However, the shipping fee to send it back is almost 50 bucks. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Also, how do overseas companies make any money on their sales if it costs more than the price of the laser to ship it?

Usually companies that sells ship in big volumes so its cheaper for them to send out stuff then for you back. Iwould just pack it real good and use the original box or whatever you got from them and just ship it back.. not much else you can do if its under warranty you cant do much else. How much did the laser cost anyway ?

Last edited:
Laser itself was 70 bucks.

You think I could get my money back if I told paypal the items came in broken?

Im not sure how paypal deals with lasers really when you claim broken. Its hardly worth sending it back for almost the price it costs, unless they refund you the shipping which i doubt anyone does really, you will hardly gain anything sending it back even if you get back a functional one back. They should just send you another one for free or refund you the money.

Last edited:
Laser itself was 70 bucks.

You think I could get my money back if I told paypal the items came in broken?

Unless it really did arrive DOA I would not go that route- if you do AFAIK we do not want to hear about it.

shipping From WHERE!??

plz add your location in YOUR PROFILE

its DOES make a diff and personally I try to NOT assume..

here is what I have learned

ask the company to provide you with all you need= what carrier- how to describe the contents- about the value & description that will be asked etc-
IF you make those calls and it does not get there - GL with getting help- they may just say you sent it wrong.

BAD idea to ship cheap.

Penny wise but POUND foolish

There will be 3 or more forms you must fill out-(depending upon where you are and how you want to ship)
there appparently were not designed with china addresses in mind- write small abbrevaiste when you can-

I grabbed a bunch of each form and fill them out while at home- I let them garb the ones they want- I bring the COMPLETE address & phone number printed out (copied) that way the postal worker does not need to read my handwriting--

From China to texas we (JL & LK) ONLY use DHL Express (a few times with FEd Ex )= DHL is the most expensive but crazy fast and none of mine or my GB buyers have found them opened or inspected- were are tqalking about more than 100 packages--

Oddly JL has me sending return via USPS / EMS - IIRC somrething about outgoing stuff getting lost and never leaving China-

Do as Rayfoss advises

On mine I describe as broken/faulty devices (LED lights) for return value zero-- or I sometimes declare the value to be around 40$ any more and it may be inspected - we had that haappen ONLY once- EMS tolfd JL to send `100$ with an emplyee to release- when she got there it had risen to 150$- this was IIRC ~$ 2000 in lasers retail-

I wrap the each laser in bubble with <LOTS of wide tape
then combine a few and wrap/tape again- then combine all and repeat-

The one I had inspected in China was double boxed like we do here in the USA-- Looking at the final deal weirds me out- looking like a few Ks of Cocaine-- maybe all that tape makes those at custopms to NOT want to mess with unwarping ALL that stuff- they do have to wrap it back up so we do not make that easy for them.

IDKFS

maybe I have just been lucky
Batteries
just dont ever send any( or have any sent to you along with a laser)
They are still banned at the USPS and they ask almost every time if my box going out has lithium batts-

Take the lasers apart as much as you can and mix the parts up-
With no battery and the lasers being in two or more pieces may discourage them IDK

some say to remove ALL labels- & warning stickers- I alway do--assign numbers/letters onto the inside wrap and email the list to JL.

Rayfoss needs to give you the address for 'dummies' they have a few more lines needing filled in- we have city- state and USA- they have those and a few more- I was unsure which was a street or a city or a province-district- etc--

look at what is asked on the forum and ask RF for exact address-
a phone number for both ends is required- and a big mistake to leave one out or worse --make one up--

Leave blank any you are unsure of and hope the PO worker can help you out- i do not think they really like seeing me come in with stuff going to china and ATM I am trying to find the way to print and pay on-line-- it can be done--

there is more but ATM- thats all I have for you- PM if you want--

waitwhat
forgot insurance-
because you should NOT insure it going back to China

think-= a 37.00$usd item insiured for 500$ ( in my returns I hardly ever send just a few going back-

smart money saves them up, but not TOO many)

I guess you could declare the value to be 70$ and insure BUT if they think you or RF should be paying duty that will not be good--

yeah

there is a lot to be said about buying from the forums-

GL

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I got LOTS of experience with shipping back lasers and LPMs to companies. I think I

sent back items maybe ten times.

I can give you these advices, which apply to Chinese companies, Hong kong companies, US

companies and Canadian companies:

1. Accept the company explicit consent to ship it back for a replacement or a full refund. Get an

RMA number if possible.

2. Request an accurate address for the return shipping.

3. Copy and paste the address to a Word Document and print it. Never write the address in

handwrite.

4. Fill in a customs decleration form. I usually declare lasers as "Flashlight For Gift" at a value of

10$US, and LPMs as "Electronic Parts" at a value of 18$US. Value declared should not exceed

20$US to avoid taxes at the addressee side.

5. Wrap the returned item well with lots of bubble wrap.

6. Put the wrapped item in a carton box and seal well.

7. Send the package back REGISTERED MAIL, not regular mail so you can track your package and

have an indication that the company received it. No need to send it back via EMS, UPS, FEDEX, etc.

8. Track your returned package at its journey to the destination: First, track in via your local postal

service website, and once it says your package had left your country, wait a few days and then start

tracking it at the destination postal service website.

9. Track it there untill it says : "Delivered". If it says: "Unsucssecful Delivery", don't panic, probably

the postman attempted to deliver your package and nobody was there. After a day or two the status

will change to: "Deliverd".

10. If the seller doesn't contact you within 3-4 days from delivery, contact him via email and tell him

that according to the tracking number, he received your package on (Date) and ask him to send a

repalcement or to refund you.

11. Always hope for good and think positive.

That's all, I hope I didn't miss anything.

Good Luck :yh: