Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp 405 Question

Below is a picture of the 405 beam. Notice something that looks like dirt on the lens. However, it is not dirt on the lens because I get the same image when I remove the primary lens and create an image on a gray background. I could not take a pic.

I tried using air to see if if was something on the diode window...but it is not.20210529_210953.jpg

Come to think of it, when I first started building lasers, I noticed something like this.

What is it?

how does the beam spot profile look when focused to it smallest point?

what is your impression of how the appearance of a laser diode focal should look?

Depends upon the diode. I am just wondering what looks like a foreign body actually is.

If you gently shake the module/host, does the apparition change? If that is the case, the diode window is detached. If it is not the diode window it may be a tiny imperfection within the diode emitter. if the beam quality is good, I would not loose sleep over it. This hobby will give you night mares .....It is only a diode. Do you know how many of us have killed diodes, or they just die. It is part of the hobby.

I am getting 1.7 W optical power. I was just curious what it could be. If the window detaches don't you lose power

What diode is that again? And for your question: Many of us here have had to take the glass window out of a diode do to disconnect, burned on material ect. The PO is may actually improve slightly. The biggest problem would be degredation of th substrate do to oxygen exposure, but you can always use teflon tape on the adj lens barrel to help seal out oxygen. This is what I think : if the window is intact, and the PO is consistent I would not worry about a slight in perfection in the beam picture.

What diode is that again? And for your question: Many of us here have had to take the glass window out of a diode do to disconnect, burned on material ect. The PO is may actually improve slightly. The biggest problem would be degredation of th substrate do to oxygen exposure, but you can always use teflon tape on the adj lens barrel to help seal out oxygen. This is what I think : if the window is intact, and the PO is consistent I would not worry about a slight in perfection in the beam picture.
I have never removed a window and have no idea how one would do it. Anybody ever make a video?

is it a detached window? Does the beam spot profile change when shaking the host? If not, Then it should not be removed. I would seek out others opinions as well. Ask some of the other vet members . Alaskan, Red cowboy, Styro, Ect.

Is not recommended if it is intact. Removing the window will shorten the lifespan of the diode. Instead, just aske the seller if you can return it for inspection and possible trade in.

I don't think you understand. I have no intention of removing the window. I am just curious about laser diode anatomy for want of a better way of putting it. I have read a litt bit but I have not tried to take one apart because they are so small. I was wondering if anyone has seen a video doing just that.