Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Setting Up a 445nm Diode in a Host

Hello again everyone. To begin, I guess I should say that I've been reading about hosts and how to implement laser diodes into them, and it has actually helped me by a great deal, special thanks to Pi R Squared. I actually understand this a lot more now. So, I've ordered a Survival Laser S4 Host along with the 400-1100 mA adjustable current driver and I have only one question, something that I didn't quite understand about connecting the case and batteries. Using a 445nm diode, how exactly would I connect the diode pins in the S4 host with that driver? According to Eudaimonium's guide, it should be isolated, right? I did not quite understand that one part, but of course I'm very indebted to that great guide, it was the only reason I've gotten this far. So basically, could anyone give me a bit of advice on how to connect the diode with the driver and host? Here's the link to the driver: Survival Laser Adjustable Current Driver
Thanks everyone, and sorry, I guess it might be annoying to have to answer questions that would be so simple to you guys.

Garoq

First you will need to solder the driver to the brass ring and press it in the pill.

Here is a tutorial on soldering a driver to the brass ring and installing the driver and ring assembly into the pill (the driver board shown in the photos is different than yours but the process is the same):

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/installing-testing-sl-sd-1-dx-26110-driver-c6-pill-86327.html

Note: If you are using the adjustable driver you will need to set the current with a test load before installing in a standard pill, unless you use a drilled pill in which case you can adjust it after it is pressed in.

And here is a link to how to solder the completed driver and pill module to the diode:

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58770/myimages/diode_soldering_instructions_small_9112.pdf

I hope that helps! :beer:

Thanks. I solved my issue concerning the case pin, it turned out I just didn't quite look hard enough on the forums. However, thank you for the tip concerning soldering the brass ring and driver. I really would have done it much messier without that picture. To be honest, I just finished the laser I've been working on an hour ago, and I've gotta say Gary, despite your S4's small heatsink, it takes the heat from the diode like a real champ! I can actually use it for a whole minute before I can feel the heatsink itself get warm! I'm very happy to have purchased from you and I will post a review soon. I am rather certain you'll be getting more of my money in the future. Again, thank you!

Garoq

Thanks for the kind comments, yes the extended heatsink is designed to transfer the heat to the pill and the rest of the host for better thermal transfer. :)