Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SenKat a thing about ur diode

This is my second AWESOME diode from you, just one thing

Perfectly cut aixiz lens plastic thingy, perfectly clean lens

Burns perfectly

Just one thing, when focused, there are small specs of light within half a foot of the dot... also, when not focused, you can see a little spec of something, just like when u see bacteria in a microscope.

I noticed that the lens in the can of the diode looks like it has a dot (which is transparent of course) but you can make a dot out. Its not melted plastic or dust or anyhting... Im guessing beam from laser itself damaged the lens in the can? plz help, as I am bummed

Could this be from leaving it on too long?

thanks,

amk

Things

hmm? can you post a pic? If its just a bit of "speckle" around the dot, that is normal for most lasers.

its a speckle, only with a big radius...

BUT

when NOT focused (as in the dot is like 6 inches in diameter) you can make out a little dark spot on the red dot, clearly from the diode lens. I dont know if its affecting burning, it burns fune, its just very annoying when I see that

Krutz

specle only? all my lasers have specle, some more, some less.
my laserdiodes (from pioneer dvr109) have "wings". a line going through the collimated dot, several times longer than the dot.

you can get rid of all that with a pinhole, or spatial filter. you focus the beam very tightly, send it through a pinhole, and collimate it again on the other side. with multi-mode diodes you wont get a small (=diffraction limited) focus, so you either lose much power, or will perhaps not clean it to 100%. obviously you will lose power through the optics, it will be taking time to set up and tune, and not easy to build rugged enough to not move at all. want to give it a try? aluminun foil is 100% light-blocking, and easily punched a small hole into with a needle, the foil on a hard surface (glass perhaps).
oh, did i mention interference already? better not ask, whole new problem with that plan.. hehe

manuel

S

SenKat

Manuel, you bring up an excellent point regarding the DIY lasers, and the Aixiz modules.

a LOT of us are carving out the ass-end of the lens on the Aixiz modules in order to gather in and focus as much of that gorgeous, coherent light as possible ! That's where we screw everything up ! GAH !!! The lenses are designed to REMOVE that speckle from the red diodes and whatnot, but prodiving a cut off filter ! By limiting what light makes it to the lens to begin with, you are left with a perfectly round dot, with zero or close to zero artifacts in the dot/beam profile.

So it is a give/take relationship ! Put up with a few atrifacts, and squeeze EVERY photon possible outta that sucker - or have a perfectly round beam (and risk melting through it at some point....

Krutz

SenKat said:
a LOT of us are carving out the ass-end of the lens on the Aixiz modules in order to gather in and focus as much of that gorgeous, coherent light as possible !

oh, right, i forgot that you guys here use that other aixiz module.. i only have those 8x13mm small brass modules, acryl lens, and no filter/mask/hole inside. of course you are right, one could as well just put a mask between the diode and the collimating lens, i forgot about that.
hmm, if that kills those ugly wings from my diodes, i may try this.. "upgrading" my modules with the filter many of you bore out.. :)

i have some of those black plastic lens-things with 11x0.5 threading, some have such a filter as well.
oh, and it wont help to put a filter after the lens, it shall go before!

manuel

Kenom

amkdeath. It sounds to me like you've got some kind of obstruction on the lens, or diode window that is creating your big round dot inside the beam. I'm not sure if greg removes the hole in the back but I find it hard to believe that he does. That being the case you need to open up the backside of the lense and try to clean inside there and the window of the diode itself. but until I see a picture to verify I'm just going by speculation. It could also be from a scratch on the lens. I've done that a time or two scratched the lens while trying to make the hole in the back bigger.

Kenom said:
amkdeath.  It sounds to me like you've got some kind of obstruction on the lens, or diode window that is creating your big round dot inside the beam.  I'm not sure if greg removes the hole in the back but I find it hard to believe that he does.  That being the case you need to open up the backside of the lense and try to clean inside there and the window of the diode itself.  but until I see a picture to verify I'm just going by speculation.  It could also be from a scratch on the lens.  I've done that a time or two scratched the lens while trying to make the hole in the back bigger.

senkat doesnt remove the ends, but in another thread I was instructed to do so, to revent plastic from melting onto my diode, and Ive been doing it since then, not knowing about speckle.... grrrrr.....

Ill try and clen it.

thanx ppl

amk

you know, its sitting in an aixiz module all pre installed by SenKat, and it burns fine, (just a little less performance than be4) so I dont think im gonna risk going open can, ill prolly destry it getting it out of aixiz module, or when im desoldering wires LOL

but you know, they say: If it aint broken, fix it, and if it still aint, fix it again

so I donno...

amk