Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Selling 480nm Build in a custom brass pen host.

Giannis_TDM

Howdy, I don't really use it since I turn to prefer the more green ish color of my 484nm build but it is still rare and as such I am not really willing to let it go for very cheap. It has been tuned to be around class 3A with the provided ar coated PMMA lens, a G8 would push it into class 3B territory. I have tired to confirm the wavelength by building a DYI style spectrometer and 'calibrating' it with a DPSS 532nm laser, I have also measured the wavelength with a diffraction grating and I am getting about 481, the spectrometer showed 479 so I am calling it in the middle. As given you won't need goggles as its only Class3A. Beam is visible at nighttime and an absolute light-sabre in foggy rooms.
Component list:
Host: Custom Brass 10440 style pen host from trinh
Module: 12mm DTR copper diode module
Lens: PMMA Broadband AR coated single element
Driver: Gboost 800mA (with reverse polarity protection)
Diode: Sharp GH04850B2G (2019 batch)

LPM Used: GentecEO Solo PE with PS310WBv2 head. Completely zero'ed to a 50uW noise floor before measurement, all equipment was at 26c
IMG_20220820_125818.jpg
IMG_20220820_125929.jpg
IMG_20220820_125923.jpg

IMG_20220820_131931.jpgunknown.png

Picture side by side to my 484:

left 484 right 480
Capsture.PNG
Thanks, For offers just PM me!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Shame. Need a laser in that region to bridge the gap. But I’m priced out on this one even if I could justify going for it. Good luck on your sale. 480nm is not an cheap or easy region to fill.

Giannis_TDM

Shame. Need a laser in that region to bridge the gap. But I’m priced out on this one even if I could justify going for it. Good luck on your sale. 480nm is not an cheap or easy region to fill.
Yea I have been trying to re measure the WL now to be certain but I have been having no luck with my setups, I think I need new gratings cause the ones I have are so varied across its laughable, I am talking like +-50L/mm so even 'calibrating' them with my HeNe does not work as if the spot its on the grating is varied when I put the 480 in I get trash resaults so sadly the only 'proof' I have of the wavelength is the DIY spectro and my previous math with another grating that I seem to have lost along with a pic of it next to a 484.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yea I have been trying to re measure the WL now to be certain but I have been having no luck with my setups, I think I need new gratings cause the ones I have are so varied across its laughable, I am talking like +-50L/mm so even 'calibrating' them with my HeNe does not work as if the spot its on the grating is varied when I put the 480 in I get trash resaults so sadly the only 'proof' I have of the wavelength is the DIY spectro and my previous math with another grating that I seem to have lost along with a pic of it next to a 484.
My advice is try to get an accurate spectro of that laser. People looking to buy it will most likely be after the wavelength to fill in their spectrums. Like I would of done if I could buy it. If you can verify it’s sitting between 479-481nm then you’ll definitely have interest.

The thing that’s making me wonder is how you describe the 484nm. 484nm should still be very blue with barely/ if any green present. Viewing conditions can alter perception of colour however. 487nm+ will start to be on the boundary within the cyan region. 489nm will appear blue-cyan in light conditions and be cyan- with the slightest hint of green in dark conditions. 494nm will appear mostly a green cyan under all conditions unless viewed in a light room of with a longer wavelength being viewed before it.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

My advice is try to get an accurate spectro of that laser. People looking to buy it will most likely be after the wavelength to fill in their spectrums. Like I would of done if I could buy it. If you can verify it’s sitting between 479-481nm then you’ll definitely have interest.

The thing that’s making me wonder is how you describe the 484nm. 484nm should still be very blue with barely/ if any green present. Viewing conditions can alter perception of colour however. 487nm+ will start to be on the boundary within the cyan region. 489nm will appear blue-cyan in light conditions and be cyan- with the slightest hint of green in dark conditions. 494nm will appear mostly a green cyan under all conditions unless viewed in a light room of with a longer wavelength being viewed before it.
Oh 484 is pure blue, I described it as more green cause it is green shifted compared to 480, that is when having in mind their positions in the vis specrum, there absolutely no hint of green in each. Besides me measuring it I looks exactly like the 484 diode zraffle had binned, absolute marvelous shade of cyan and the prime reason I wont sell it

PS: since I have more accurate cal sources now I will build another spectro and cal it with my HeNes, 594 and 632.8

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh 484 is pure blue, I described it as more green cause it is green shifted compared to 480, that is when having in mind their positions in the vis specrum, there absolutely no hint of green in each. Besides me measuring it I looks exactly like the 484 diode zraffle had binned, absolute marvelous shade of cyan and the prime reason I wont sell it

PS: since I have more accurate cal sources now I will build another spectro and cal it with my HeNes, 594 and 632.8
Ok, that makes sense. Solid states are also good calibration sources but can’t beat a good gas laser. I’ve successfully calibrated my spectrometer using 532 and 589nm before. The lasing crystals produce specific enough lines that they are accurate. 1064.3nm has no real competition in Nd:YVO4 systems. You can be fairly certain that the output is 532.15 +/-0.5nm. For Nd:YAG it’s more like 532.1 +/-0.5mm.