Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sega Dreamcast

Anything of intrest here? Mainly in the disk-reading compartment? I've had a broken one for years, and I remembered it once I got into lasers. The only thing I've found is a little lens that makes the beam diverge super fast, kind of cool if you need an extra flashlight.  :D

randomlugia said:
Anything of intrest here? Mainly in the [highlight]dick[/highlight]-reading compartment? I've had a broken one for years, and I remembered it once I got into lasers. The only thing I've found is a little lens that makes the beam diverge super fast, kind of cool if you need an extra flashlight.  :D
Sorry lol.
I don't think that a video game console would have anything really special in it, it would probably just have a laser sled, maybe with some mirrors and an infrared diode.

artix

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
[quote author=randomlugia link=1222649403/0#0 date=1222649403]Anything of intrest here? Mainly in the [highlight]dick[/highlight]-reading compartment? I've had a broken one for years, and I remembered it once I got into lasers. The only thing I've found is a little lens that makes the beam diverge super fast, kind of cool if you need an extra flashlight.  :D
Sorry lol.
I don't think that a video game console would have anything really special in it, it would probably just have a laser sled, maybe with some mirrors and an infrared diode.[/quote]
lol! When you mess up one letter, the whole message is ruined! ;D

But if it is broken, take out the optics and see what happens.

Ok, well I've searched it, and nothing really. At least I still have parts if my working Sega Dreamcast breaks.  ;D

jwc

The Dreamcast reads GD-ROMs, which are basically high-density versions of regular CD-ROMs. I think that the laser diode is just infrared. The main difference occurs in the way the Dreamcast reads the disc. Take a look at the Wikipedia article on the GD-ROM.

Interestingly enough, if you play DC games that have been burned on a CD, you'll eventually break your Dreamcast after a while because the system will wear itself out.

My Dreamcast is still running happily. I have no heart to dismantle it.

I took apart a broken xbox and i got a nice diffraction grating optic and some other lenses for the IR diode.

Ace82

i_have_a_dreamcast.jpg