Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Seeking Repair advise Laserglow Hercules

MrCoherent

Some years back, I got the 500 MW Hercules handheld laser from Laserglow, I had used it for a day and upon taking it out of the case the top portion seemed a little loose, without thinking* I assumed it needed to be tightened and I began to twist it tight, as you would a big Maglight… See where I’m going with this? After about three twists I felt and heard all the wires connecting the diode to the driver board. It's held together with the pressure screws and so what I’m looking for is some guidance on how this puppy is supposed to look with the wires together. If anyone has a similar built or the same laser, if you have some photos it would be a great help. I can’t send it to laserglow for repair because I’ll never get it back through customs so it’s on me to fix and it’s sitting in a box out of sight and out of mind for years and I’m ready to deal with it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• DSC_2087.jpg
    DSC_2087.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_2104.jpg
    DSC_2104.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1769.jpg
    DSC_1769.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 23

Encap

Best advice I can give is to ask Laserglow how to reconnect the wires.
Email the details and photos you cite here to them and then call them to follow up. Explain and tell Laserglow you need a wiring diagram for it.

I count eight broken wires. That is a lot of wiring for a driver and a single laser diode. I can't imagine why they would build this laser in such a way that you could harm it the way you have. I don't have one, so I can't help you in that way, but there are some very competent laser builders in the LPF all over the world. Where are you located? Maybe you can send it to someone close to you for repair.

Encap

THe Laserglo Hercules is a unique 532nm laser with a 100% duty cycle-- it uses a combination of forced-air and thermoelectric cooling-- it has both a TEC and forced air fan cooling + current adjuetment and high temp warning light features --- so is not just battery to driver to diode simple.

Better to ask Laserglo---doubt there is anyone other than the company that made it for Laserglow or perhaps Laserglow itself that has the needed experience and knowledge of the wiring details. Is an expensive unit----cost as of today is $1729.00 for the 500mW unit.

see: https://www.laserglow.com/specsheets/GHE-GHE.php

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Oh, I didn't know it was a solid state laser with TEC cooling. That would have been helpful to know. It may very well be a task for the the manufacturer, though there are some members in the US that I know could deal with this.

Appearances cause me to also believe it would not be difficult to reattach correctly, heat shrink tubing cut and placed on the wires before soldering, and then soldering the wires together and pulling the heat shrink tubes into place and heating with the tip of a soldering iron and you should be done. How are your soldering skills? Twist the wires together and use as little solder as you can to coat the wires, try not to make cold solder joints. If this doesn't make sense, maybe you should get someone who can solder do it for you.

Last edited:

Encap

Coonie and Alaskan are right.
It does appear to be a relatively simple reconnect the wires if you can tell for sure which wires go to which wire by color, gauge, lengths and see if it works given there is no other damage like wires being detached from the driver or damage to the driver/controller board requiring deeper disassembly. Depends upon your skills and experience. Seems also to be missing the On/Off button also for whatever reasons.

Regardless I would still contact Laserglow as mentioned per my other post given the high cost of a replacement unit $1729.00--maybe they can be of help--wiring diagram or whatever. Ideally it would be good to have someone with knowledge of and experience with Laserglow Hercules lasers take care of it is what I am saying.
If not possible than best DIY guess, may be the only choice..

Last edited: