Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Seeing lasers on sunny days

I am working on a project for school where we want to see a laser on a putting green. I am looking for input on how well I could see a 5mW laser line (green or red) outside at these three times of the day:
Morning
Sun high in the sky
Dusk

Thoughts?

I am working on a project for school where we want to see a laser on a putting green. I am looking for input on how well I could see a 5mW laser line (green or red) outside at these three times of the day:
Morning
Sun high in the sky
Dusk

Thoughts?

Did you mean the beam by laser line? If so, you won't see any during the day, dusk(possibly the green) and morning(again possibly the green).

You need a lot of power to see a beam during the day! Even 500mW won't be visible :)

-Alex

Unless you have a lot of money and feel like buying a 1 Watt Green lab laser its unlikely you'll find a laser you can see with the sun in the sky.

I have a 1136mW 532nm green hand held laser with a very tight beam and it is very difficult to see the beam in day light. If you have particulate in the air you can see the beam during the day with that laser.
With a 5mW green laser, you will start to see the beam at late dusk.
With a 5mW red laser, not going to happen. Can't see the beam even in the dark.
Bottom line, you are going to need a very, very powerful laser to see the beam in day light.

Thank you for the responses, this is helpful!
I do not need to see the laser beam in the air, I just want to see the laser line on the grass. Would I be able to see it on the grass if its a 5-25 mW green laser during the day?

When you say "the laser line" do you mean the dot? If so, yes you can see a 25mW green dot on the ground during the day.

Sounds like you need a lens cap that projects a line. Basically you want to project the line to put along to the hole right?