Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second red laser pointer that I’ve built!

treacheroustoast

This is the second laser pointer I’ve made, and it’s the first one that doesn’t use mostly salvaged parts!

Attachments

• 80E065F8-DAE0-4478-9016-C0301FCF40AD.jpeg
    80E065F8-DAE0-4478-9016-C0301FCF40AD.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: GSS

Is the host 3d printed plastic? Not going to give you much heatsinking but an interesting approach nonetheless...

treacheroustoast

Is the host 3d printed plastic? Not going to give you much heatsinking but an interesting approach nonetheless...
It is. I’m putting just enough power into it that it will turn on, so its heat output is not that much. I’m only going to have it on for a few seconds at a time anyway.

Since you printed the host for this, you should have made it possible to put the tactile switch inside the host and printed a button to activate it. I hope you are using some kind of driver, or at least a resistor to limit the current if you are under driving the diode significantly. Laser diodes drop in their resistance to current as they warm up and this causes them to pull more and more current until the diodes fails from thermal runaway.