Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scratch-built Unique Host

Most impressive design and execution. You truly deserve the moniker of 'Wizard'.
But, heed the warnings about where to measure heat for determining safe runtimes. You may run it for a very long time without noticing any degredation in performance or heat in the host while diode and substrate heat go ballistic. Then the next time you go to use it, blink..... Just a note from past experience trying to build micro hosts with a-140's........

Still very cool idea. Good work! +rep

wizard

Thank you, Thank you, thank you for all the positive feedback. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

The primary reason I chose to machine the host from a single block of aluminum was to get the best thermal transfer characteristics possible; a single piece of mass will always transfer heat better than several smaller pieces screwed or bolted together. I also took the time to use a 12mm reamer to make the final cut for the hole used to hold the LD assembly instead of a drill; reamers produce a very smooth finish on the ID of the hole which results in greater metal-to-metal contact between the copper LD holder and the aluminum host. The single 4-40 set screw not only holds the LD assembly in place but also presses the assembly firmly against the host to insure good heat transfer from the assembly to the host. This host was designed from the very beginning to be good at dissipating heat from the LD. Still, I agree with the need to measure the temperature of the LD itself to insure that overheating is not occurring, and if I ever get my hands on a non-contact thermometer I will follow the sound advice of several posts to do just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ped