Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SciFi repair help - ex SciFi customers only!

If you haven't worked with laser diodes, I would send it to be repaired. Right now no one knows what is wrong with it and what it needs. It will need troubleshooting and then repair. It might be possible to send it back in two sections so customs wouldn't have a working laser pointer to confiscate.

GSS

Hi, Peter. I haven't seen a post from you in awhile now. Where have you been hiding? Yeah, Eitan got very greedy in the last two years he was here. Too bad. He could have continued to build quality lasers, but he just didn't care toward the end. I never bought one of his lasers. But, I generally don't buy lasers anyway as I prefer to build my own. Great to have you back, buddy.
Hi Paul, thanks for asking. Just been a little unexpected busy lately out of my usual norm. I see there'a a whole new format and a new "like" option which is nice..
Stephane, you might want to think of sending just part of the host to someone which might work with customs as it won't be a complete working laser.
I believe the inner threaded copper module will unscrew, its finely threaded and might take quite a few turns but it should be the complete part which holds what needs to be swapped. The initial 12mm module, the diode and driver should be all inside and soldered together with the back being where the battery makes contact..
If you want at least close to 3W theres the 9mm diode 7875 if i'm correct that has a decent beam profile. Going to a 7W NUM44 will not thave the best beam profile but it looks like that's not what your really interested in. More for using on your aquarium..

If you want at least close to 3W theres the 9mm diode 7875 if i'm correct that has a decent beam profile. Going to a 7W NUM44 will not thave the best beam profile but it looks like that's not what your really interested in. More for using on your aquarium..

thank GSS im mostly set on sending my acane to have it repair and modify for a 7 watt. what is the problem with the beam profile? is there a problem to send the Acanne from Canada IN USA to have it fixed?

Last edited:

GSS

thank GSS im mostly set on seeing my acne to have it modify for a 7 watt. what is the problem with the beam profile? is there a problem to send the Acanne from Canada IN USA to have it fixed?
I thought you we worried about the customs , even when you had first bought from Eitan. I just also saw Paul mentioned the same. I'm not really sure about Canadian laser laws.
So it was just a suggestion, as some sellers do ship a laser in 2 parts separately.. Maby someone will chime in about customs..
See was Lifetime17 has to say.. The beam on the 7W is just not as tight as the lower powers but for your needs it fine..

Last edited:

GSS

Your Arcane host doesn't affect the beam profile. It's whatever the diode that is in it that make the profile.
Don't worry about the profile I mentioned, I didn't mean to worry you and shouldn't of even mentioned it.
All I meant is the 7W diode thats available will spread out wider over a shorter distance than a 3W that's available, but we a talking over a distance off 10 or 20 meter's.. What you are using it for, you can still focus the 7W nice and tight to work in your aquarium.;)

The NUBM44 diode puts out a line instead of a dot, like you would see in a single mode diode. As you get further away from the laser, the line in the beam profile increases in length and your power density is lost. Of all the multi mode diodes that put out a line, the NUBM44 is the worst, but at close distances its power density is still good and should work for your purposes. Several members here use cylindrical lenses to tame the highly diverging axis on that diode, but it is not a simple thing to do if you haven't had some experience with laser optics. Hope this answers your questions.

im working on 1-3 foot distance. i need to cross a 3/4 glass and water column to pulverize some pest underwater that i can't reach or catch by hand. 7 watt i hope is more powerful for my use or better with another diode use you think? I have read on Reefer forum 3 watt is borderline. Since mine is defect i prefert to upgrade it to someting more powerful and won't spend money for noting

The main concern I would have is with stray reflections off the glass on the tank. You should always do this with protective goggles on as stray reflections can blind you instantly. I am not certain what effects going through 0.75 inches of glass and water will have on the focused power of your laser. It maybe necessary to refocus when working in your tank. I would also try to kep the distance the beam has to travel to a minimum as your power density will decrease over distance and you will want as high a density as possible to kill the worms attacking your coral.

Hi Stephen,
I have built 4- 7W NUBM44's for the parasite problems in salt water tanks. I have not received any disappointment with them so far. I am not an expert on salt water parasites . The last one I built for a customer , his tank held 2000 gallons of water and quite deep. The first one I built was a 3+W and the customer said no go , and I built a 7W and it was fine. I am only stating on my 4 builds for aquariums.

As Paul said safety goggles are a must for accidental reflections. That goes for bystanders also.
Rich:)

I use a 3 element lens in my 44 build for better beam quality at the cost of a small amount of power

I'm not sure where clipping of the beam occurs on these, so using a multi element lens could cause you to clip the sides off your beam. Just something to think about. The use of a short focal length aspheric lens and a cylindrical lens pair would be the ideal way to handle this for taming the wild divergence of this beam.

It does clip the beam but is cheaper and mainly easier. That being said, the splash is pretty bad also
Just thinking it's a practical option for the op's use

Last edited: