Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SciFi 445 1W Problem

Hey there, I've tried searching this problem on Google and on these forums, but haven't found anything helpful. I received a 1W 445 laser (the 501B) from SciFi lasers last year. It's been working great up until the last month. I was going to email the joker directly, but it seems like that has all gone to a bad place recently. Anyway, the laser has been working really well until this month. I charged the Keeppower 18350 900mAh (18350 KeepPower 900mAh ICR18350 Protected Button Top) batteries I bought from Illumn on a Nitecore i4 Intellicharger (2014 Edition) until it was full (all three bars were full). I tried to turn it on after I loaded the batteries but nothing happened. This happens occasionally with this laser. It usually just takes me taking the batteries out and reloading them again a few times and then it turns on. Anyway, I did this a few times and it blinked on once for half a second. I reloaded the batteries a couple more times and then it turned on and stayed on. I loaded it in my backpack and tried to use it again a couple nights later. It did a very similar dance except it wouldn't work consistently. It would turn on and work fine for a few seconds. If I tried to turn it on again after a few minutes however it wouldn't light. It worked on and off again that night. The next night I tried again and now I can't get it to light at all. Nothing I am trying is getting to to turn on again.
My questions are - Is there a possibility that I overcharged the batteries? How can I check that if I did? (I don't own a voltmeter, but I can buy one quickly - I've been meaning to buy one for a while now anyway). Could the diode or the other electronics be messed up and would there be a way of testing those? Is there something else that may be helpful to investigate?
Thanks for your help! I love this laser and don't want to replace it if at all possible.

Reactions: Sta

Sta

Seems like a problem with the contacts. I think that I had this problem before with my Eitan 520. Can you post a picture of the inside please?

The contacts don't appear to be loose at least to the touch, but hopefully these pics might illuminate the situation a bit better. I took the pictures of the pieces seperately, but then took a picture down the tube to the diode end of the housing. Thanks a bunch for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_9042.JPG
    IMG_9042.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9038.JPG
    IMG_9038.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9039.JPG
    IMG_9039.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9040.JPG
    IMG_9040.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 79
try bypassing the tailcap button and see if it fires. Put batteries in without the tailcap and with a probe, make contact with the battery to the host. Make sure there is no paint on the contact point of the host.

if you have an I4 charger I doubt the battery is the issue. from your description it sounds like a contact issue somewhere hence probably the tail switch. I have had a couple fail on me and I'm sure Eitan was using as cheap and crappy components he could find to save a buck.

if thats the problem a piece of copper foil would work too to bypass the switch I can send you if you don't feel like ordering a new clicky. You would then just turn the cap for on/off.

Geniuses. That worked. I connected it without the tail cap on and the laser came on. I didn't have a probe, but I just connected it briefly with some wire I had laying around. I started looking at new tailcoats online, but then I found this video online describing how to fix the tail cap. You just have to tighten the silver washer down. Now it's working again with the original tailcap. I may still buy a new tailcap, but for now it's working like it's supposed to. Here's the link on how to fix the tailcap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_PosvfRD6A Apparently there are a lot of videos online about how to fix ultrafire housings. Who woulda thought.

Thanks for your help you all! I was a bit intimidated to post on here for the first time. I've been stalking these forums for about a year now and was worried I was going to post a stupid question. Thanks for being super helpful and kind!

Sta

Geniuses. That worked. I connected it without the tail cap on and the laser came on. I didn't have a probe, but I just connected it briefly with some wire I had laying around. I started looking at new tailcoats online, but then I found this video online describing how to fix the tail cap. You just have to tighten the silver washer down. Now it's working again with the original tailcap. I may still buy a new tailcap, but for now it's working like it's supposed to. Here's the link on how to fix the tailcap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_PosvfRD6A Apparently there are a lot of videos online about how to fix ultrafire housings. Who woulda thought.

Thanks for your help you all! I was a bit intimidated to post on here for the first time. I've been stalking these forums for about a year now and was worried I was going to post a stupid question. Thanks for being super helpful and kind!

Great! I'm glad you were able to fix it.
Also - I forgot to say - welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.

:)

Nice! Also, I'd just like to mention that those 501b hosts can be found for pretty cheap, and the internals can be swapped out pretty easy. You can pick up a different color host, swap out the module, and have a "brand new" laser!