Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sci-Fi lasers 1w 520 nm review

Today I am reviewing the 520 nm Arcane 2.0 by sci-fi lasers. It was 15% on sale so I got it for $370 without shipping.

Delivery
At first I ordered separated shipping, but then I learned what was involved in putting it together. I asked Eitan to do standard shipping and he was able to change it and refund me the extra $7 it cost. However I ordered my laser right around the Jewish holiday so it was delayed a couple weeks. I got a tracking code with my order. Eitan answered all of my questions quickly with respect to the time zone difference. When I got it, it was packaged very well, with the host, lens+lens cap, and tail cap all bubble wrapped separately.

Host

The host was very nice and feels solid in my hand. It is made of aluminum, and the paint finish is very nice. The diode module/heat sink is made of copper. It is very dense and substantial. It holds two 16340 batteries. There is a clicky switch on the side instead of the back, which I am a fan of.

Lens/ lens cap

The lens screws into the lens cap, which screws onto the module. The lens is nice, clear, and keeps the beam pretty tight. It twists out to focus closer to the laser.

Wavelength

I really like the 520 nm color. I do not personally own any 532s, but from comparing it to my friend's 532 the 520 is a much truer green color. Also, it is a straight diode, not DPSS, so it will still be strong in cold weather. This is a huge plus in cold places like Colorado and is one of the main reasons I bought this laser as opposed to a 532.

Performance

The beam on this laser is very tight, much tighter and brighter than my 1w 445. At 1w of green it is visible in lit rooms and insanely bright outdoors. The divergence is almost the exact same as my blue laser. The dot is too bright to look at comfortably on most surfaces. When focused, it is a pretty good burner. It does not burn skin as fast as a 445 does due to its wavelength. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and for $370 for 1w of green I am glad I grabbed it. I am also pleased with customer service.

Last edited:

Some pics... I had more but I would need to resize them all manually so here are the two best ones. :yh:

Attachments

• rsz_1laser1.jpg
    rsz_1laser1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 475
  • rsz_2img_0229.jpg
    rsz_2img_0229.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 497

Ricker

What are you hitting on that second picture? A tree, or the clouds?! :eek:

What are you hitting on that second picture? A tree, or the clouds?! :eek:
That is a pine tree, but it does kind of look like a wispy cloud. I have neighbors and I don't know what their reaction would be so I keep the beam confined within my yard. :whistle:

Ricker

That is a pine tree, but it does kind of look like a wispy cloud. I have neighbors and I don't know what their reaction would be so I keep the beam confined within my yard. :whistle:

Haha yeah I hear ya, either they'll love it, or hate it!

according to this website , this is brighter than that 7w 445nm. can anyone attest to this?

toss up if you ask me

December%206%202015%2095717%20AM%20EST.jpg

Super cool! I have one on it's way so I should be posting a review of that soon. I'm still waiting for it since shipping can be slow sometimes but as I understand it this is the brightest handheld laser you can buy. I wonder what it would take to have 7W of 520 the way they do with 445

Super cool! I have one on it's way so I should be posting a review of that soon. I'm still waiting for it since shipping can be slow sometimes but as I understand it this is the brightest handheld laser you can buy. I wonder what it would take to have 7W of 520 the way they do with 445

Lots of money and a knifes edge array I'm guessing.