Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

School me on Sanwu laser pens

chaosrealm93

It seems like you can choose from a variety of emiters/wavelengths for any given body/chassis style. So whats the real difference between all the different series (guardian, challenger, challenger 2, striker etc.)? Just the battery they use?

The cooldown/duty cycle also varies between the different body styles, but isnt that more dependent on the emitter or is it also dependent on the heat dissapation of the body?

Also they list a range of beam divergences for their difference frequencies. But is there a reference somewhere as to what the specific divergence is for a specific frequency?

Thanks!

diachi

It seems like you can choose from a variety of emiters/wavelengths for any given body/chassis style. So whats the real difference between all the different series (guardian, challenger, challenger 2, striker etc.)? Just the battery they use?

Battery capacity, size, style, thermal properties.

The cooldown/duty cycle also varies between the different body styles, but isnt that more dependent on the emitter or is it also dependent on the heat dissapation of the body?

Both, a more powerful laser will also produce more waste heat, whilst a larger host will be able to absorb more heat thus run longer or support a more powerful diode.

Also they list a range of beam divergences for their difference frequencies. But is there a reference somewhere as to what the specific divergence is for a specific frequency?

The difference in divergence is a result of the different laser diodes used. It's not wavelength dependent.

Thanks!

Answers in red.

chaosrealm93

does Sanwu publish any specs for specific wavelength/diodes? or are they third party and you can look at spec sheets of the manufacturer?

diachi

does Sanwu publish any specs for specific wavelength/diodes? or are they third party and you can look at spec sheets of the manufacturer?

Diodes are all third party, specs will vary based on not just diode selection but lens selection too. Most noticeable will be beam diameter/divergence.

You'd need to ask Sanwu to provide these details, or check here to see if someone has the particular combination you're looking for.

chaosrealm93

I see.

Do certain colors burn better than others at distance? I know 555/532nm (green) is most visible to the human eye, but just because its the most visible, doesnt mean its the most "powerful" right? Like 1W of violet, IR, UV, blue and red are all equal right?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I see.

Do certain colors burn better than others at distance? I know 555/532nm (green) is most visible to the human eye, but just because its the most visible, doesnt mean its the most "powerful" right? Like 1W of violet, IR, UV, blue and red are all equal right?

A watt is a watt, but for burning at distance a single mode diode or DPSS will work best. The single mode 405 nm diodes (BDR-209) have great divergence and burn well out to tens of feet.

chaosrealm93

A watt is a watt, but for burning at distance a single mode diode or DPSS will work best. The single mode 405 nm diodes (BDR-209) have great divergence and burn well out to tens of feet.

single mode as in a fixed output level?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
single mode as in a fixed output level?

No, I'm talking about the nature of the beam coming out of the diode. Try using the search button and look for

single-mode and multi-mode laser diodes