Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scholarship!!

Tux

Its been a while sense I posted anything on this forum, I think the last time I did was when I needed some assistance with my PHR build witch turned out alright to my surprise.

Alright, the reason why I'm posting is because I would realllly like to go to the University of Dayton, they have a great electro-optics program there witch I would like to be part of. The only problem is that they are extremely expensive and the parents don't to want to shell out the money for a private school if I don't obtain enough scholarship money.

UD is offering a $40,000, scholarship for the fist place winner of their "your question your mark challenge" Basically you make a video in witch you state a question about something and then make a video outlining your journey. If your confused just watch this video.
YouTube - Your Question. Your Mark.

Obviously I want to make my video on lasers, I was thinking the question could be something like "What kind of applications would lasers be performing in the future, and how they benefit society?" I know there is allot of really neet stuff going on with lasers in all sorts fields whether it be experimental, military, multimedia, and medical. With the right stuff I think I should have a good shot at first prize. :yh:

If any of you guys have any inputs or recommendations it would be great if I could hear from you, Im sure there is allot of things I haven't thought of yet.

Last edited:

Tux

awesome, thanks man.
Damn I had no idea there was that kind of stuff going on. Usually my dad pulls that stuff out his Photonic magazine. I think I'm going to have to use the digital storage one and the electron in motion one.

I'm going to skip on the mortar defense laser, cause I thinking of doing a short demo on a few things at the WPAFB museum. Such as maybe an old laser guided missile, and the airborne laser lab sitting outside. I think that will be enough for defense mechanisms.

Oh they also offer the 1st 2nd and 3rd place winners $2500 to "explore their questions," If I had $2500, what would the baddest ass laser set up I could get, to do a little scientific research on my own? That is only if I get first place $40,000 scholarship cause otherwise its going toward my tuition.

Tux

None of you guys have any ideas for $2,500 of laser equipment? hmm... I was thinking about about building a gas laser in the summer, or traveling somewhere to check out some laser labs, possibly out west to view some laser weapons if I can get clearance, which I probably wont. :scowl:

Anyway almost done with the video, should have a really good shot at first place.

also note that, it is estimated that 50percent of the United States' GDP is some how affiliated/affected by lasers.

michael

"What kind of application tasks would lasers be performing in the future and how would these applications benefit society?" (I took the liberty of correcting grammatical structure, here)

I recommend coming up with a different question than this. The problem here is that the question is too general and not visceral enough to really pull an audience in to the answer. Having a good question is just as important as having a good answer.

Ask a question where the word "laser" cannot be easily replaced with too many other things. In the above question, you could put in almost anything: e.g. "What kind application tasks would lab-grown mold be performing in the future and how do those applications benefit society?"

You need to ask something specific that makes the audience really want to focus on what you have to say. Then blow them away with your answer.

Best wishes. I hope you get the scholarship.

Lasers in the generation of fusion power is very high on the list for advances that would benefit society. If a sustainable, powerful and relatively safe means of generating electrical power is developed, then robotics would be doing what is now done with manual labor and global struggles for petroleum supplies could become obsolete.