Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scary times with my new laser

Alright, so today i got my x105 in the mail. So, i pop in batteries and start the burning! I decide to check out the beam intensity in darnkess, so im in my room, shining the laser around, and im movin it around fast so it lights up the room, and my hand got a little out of control and the beam went across my window, and i took 116 mW of green to my eyes. The first 5 min. were fine, but then i got this fuzzy spot near where i got hit, and i started freakin out. the spot slowly transformed shapes, until i had trouble reading because it fuzzed the letters. After about 20 minutes it went away, but it only took 5 for me to get on nova's website and order some goggles.

All im left with is a slight headache, and my laser in the drawer until my goggles come. :'(

Things

wow that was close! Yep goggles are deffinatley nessecary with these powers, one more flash like that could permanantly blind you.

Wow Dude! At least the glass would reflect about 5% per surface, <10 % total, so I est. about 12 mw went into or even very near your eye(s). I heard of some of my astronomer pals accident, one was looking into a telescope, and another, accidentally let the beam (a green <5 mW) go into the telescope. Telescopes and other optics can extremely concentrate the laser dot! Long story short, the victim was then blinded and although he did regain his sight (in about 20 hours), but everyone around felt great remorse, and the victim seemed to recover from the blinding and shock completely, but no expert was able to tell if his vision is really 100% what once it was anymore. For an astronomer this is a major bummer to say the least! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I feel very fortunate to have been an astronomer and laser enthusiast for several decades with no such troubles. Please use great caution, ALL of US!

dude be very cautious, if i am cautious with my dx 30 u should be even more with a great nova!!