Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu spiker 465nm 4000mw overview

I bought the spiker a few days ago and recieved it today. It is a very well made host. Perfect threads, no scratches, heavy. It was shipped with a cover lens screwed into the BE threads. I had some issues with the output and removing the outer shipping lense fixed the initial issue I had. I also discovered a canned diode in the heatsink while inspecting the laser. Then I attached a 3x BE with the adapter Sanwu included and it has a the strangest output. It kind of looks like this (@) more like a dot within a circle that's within a larger circle, on the wall. Messing with the focus just scales the size of this up or down. Changing the lens didn't change the output. The raw output looks fine. I couldn't get a shot of the output on the wall it is too bright. But I did manage to get a side view of it and you can see the lines in the beam. This is not what I get from an 07E.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

Without the expander the beam profile looks fine, right? With it there's a pattern, right. Without the expander and the lens defocused is there a pattern? The lens you refer to I'm assuming is a G-something, right?

Last edited:
Without the expander the beam profile looks fine, right? With it there's a pattern, right. Without the expander and the lens defocused is there a pattern? The lens you refer to I'm assuming is a G-something, right?
Yes exactly as you said. It came with a G7. I also tried a 3 element lense. Same output. I tried different 3x BE's as well. There was also a flat thin lens I assumed was a dust cover for shipping and storage that I removed due to the distortion it caused.

BobMc

Thats real curious! Hope someone more knowledge chimes in. Hope you get an answer to your question, I'd kinda like to know it also. Spiker are still real nice! Beautiful laser! Almost a work of art! Enjoy!

Yes exactly as you said. It came with a G7. I also tried a 3 element lense. Same output. I tried different 3x BE's as well. There was also a flat thin lens I assumed was a dust cover for shipping and storage that I removed due to the distortion it caused.

If I understand you the problem is caused by the expander. Look at the expander lens to the if there's some shmutz on them. If not, defocus the G7 lens to see if the pattern shows. If it does show there is shmutz on the diode window. You will need magnification to see this shmutz I think.

Last edited:
Ok well I thought I tried a different 3x BE but turns out I got distracted and put the same one on again. But just for the hell of it I took one off of the other lasers and tried it. There is something wrong with one of the 3x BE's I recieved with this spiker. Ill get in touch with Podo and see if he can square up on this. Some pics.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

BobMc

I'm glad it was something simple. Sure is a nice collection you've got growing there. You've got some really nice lasers. I like all your BE's they look great'

Glad you got this sorted out dden :beer:

Great customer service from SANWU as always.

We use the NEW465 diode for this model. not 07e.

Contacted about the problem on one of you beam expander:).

Yes I noticed that the diode used in your 465nm Spiker was not an open can diode like the 07E is :thinking:

What new 465nm diode are you referring to that's available?

There is a wobble or rotation to the beam from adjusting the focus ring. I have to mess around with it to get the beam centered in the beam expander with the right focus of the G7. I have noticed this s the same with all my other lasers that have a 3x BE. Now I know there is a little play in the threading but even when applying a compressing force while rotating the focus the output travels around. I don't remember the technical term for it but it seems that the optics faces are not perpendicular to the diodes output, perfectly. I am so ocd about this. I guess when you expand the beam you magnify the small issues as well. Considering the size of these parts, diminishing returns, and the price point, we are getting a decent deal.