Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu g2 vs g7

landon

Sup lpf
I'm about to order a spiker series laser from sanwu, buy am debating what lense I want. I've never had experience with either the g2 or g7 and wanted to know what you guys would recommend.

Thanks

G7 G7 G Blasted 7

No, But SERIOUSLY Get the G7. ;)

The G2 on a 44 series diode makes a 2 inch long line not a dot at 15 feet and the G7 makes a 0.65 inch line at 15 feet, now if you are getting the 5 watt diode it will be even shorter and the 3 watt even shorter still, actually SANWU uses the 7a75 and 7875 so your spot/line with the G7 will be 0.25 inch at 15 feet but 250% as long with the G2.

The G2 is for short range CNC cutting and prior to beam shaping optics, but for general use the G7 is the winner hands down. It's also a cleaner output. On a power meter the G2 is supposed to have a slightly higher reading, but at the expense of a much worse looking fan shaped beam.

SANWU has the 3X expander too, so I highly recommend the G7.

Last edited:

Pman

Yeah, I need to order a few more G7 Red. This time I'll get one of the shorter ones also to check it out.
Unfortunately I got both of my G7 lenses mixed in with some builds and I'm not sure now what I put them on although I think it was on a couple of my leadlight pens. Is there a distinguishing characteristic that I'll be able to tell which 2 have the G7 on without doing output checks?

Last edited:
If you have the G7 in the 9mm long housing it will stick out further as it has a longer focal length.

Pman

What I am comparing them too is an (Eitan lens that has no official name) if that changes anything. I've also mixed up using a couple 2 element 520nm lenses somewhere along the way and need to figure it out. This is where owning a lot of units isn't helpful.

Eitan, the little prince, sold me some S1 lens but never delivered. Alaskan told me they are like G2's but not quite as good, if you need a G2 there is none better that DTR's except maybe the G9 but I think DTR's is more universal. But it depends what you want to do, I love that high quality G2 for use prior to beam shaping optics, it's a good clean lens, very uniform output with the least artifact.

Yea I have found many times over and over that there is no one tool that fits all, I can find some cool solutions but it's expensive....say do you know anyone wanting to get rid of a portable x-ray laser for cheap?
Something in the 50w - 250w range would be nice. :p I want to do some materials science studies.

Last edited:

Pman

But the Eitan lenses are almost as good and at $5 a pop hard to beat.

Reactions: GSS
I have the challenger II 3W 445NM and im not sure what's going on it isn't a dot whatsoever I have it fully focused and it really doesn't burn anything like the video I saw https://youtu.be/N-a4vJvLq1w basically at about 20ft it seems like the line itself is about 2inches long, will not burn paper but just vaporizes it basically. Not sure if it's not ok or what

Is the difference between the 7mm holder and the 9mm holder the barrel length? The site assumes you already know.

Podo

Is the difference between the 7mm holder and the 9mm holder the barrel length? The site assumes you already know.

The 7mm G7 is used for our lasers and we released a 9mm version so people can mount the G7 lens on their own lasers because some lasers are incompatible with the 7mm short barrel.

Last edited:

94Z28

I love the Sanwu G7 i put in my PL-E it's really a ton better then my G2s. The divergence is good, power is still better than a 3 element with a better beam shape as well.... I think the G7 is better in all aspects maybe a little less power.

Props to PODO!

Last edited:

Podo

I have the challenger II 3W 445NM and im not sure what's going on it isn't a dot whatsoever I have it fully focused and it really doesn't burn anything like the video I saw https://youtu.be/N-a4vJvLq1w basically at about 20ft it seems like the line itself is about 2inches long, will not burn paper but just vaporizes it basically. Not sure if it's not ok or what

The dot size is little big for just 20ft, please get the laser beam focus to parallel first by adjusting the laser front head.

Either the lens is contaminated or the laser is not in full power mode. Please send us a video recording the said problem.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

Jhop

I just ordered the Sanwu Pocket 405nm 200mw with a g2. I went with g2 because I know I read somewhere on here or on Sanwu's old site layout that g2 is better suited for 405nm. I don't remember why. Plus it is a small laser, and a low power laser. Plus you cant attach the BE to the pocket's. Ill have to compare it to my 650nm 250mw Sanwu pocket which has a g7 lens and see what the difference is. I plan on buying the Pocket 520 150mw and/or the Pocket 445nm 500mw next payday, And i will probably go g7 in them. unless someone has a good reason to go g2.

Oh and a question for Podo: Can I use protected 10440's in the pockets? i currently use a unprotected 10440 efest in my 650nm pocket, it works great. just curious though if the protected button tops are safe to use too.

^^^It's single mode so it won't make any difference in the output, other than power. :beer:

diachi

^^^It's single mode so it won't make any difference in the output, other than power. :beer:

The G2 has a shorter FL so the beam diameter will be smaller at aperture and the divergence will be worse. Although that's not going to be quite as bad with a single mode diode vs a multimode.

Last edited:

GSS

RedC mentioned the G9 which lately hasn't been mentioned much.
I have one somewhere but i'm thinking it isn't in a lens barrel as far as I can remember.
Any info or advice before I attempt lens barrel swap?