Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 488nm vs 492nm?

My opinion on lenses for these are either acrylic, which is difficult because the housing is so short, or DTR's 2 element 520nm AR coated lens. Neither of these gives to rectangular artifact that sits to the side of the focused dot.

I agree with Paul, on both suggestions/opinions ^^
Who's got some longer housings for those acrylic lenses, BTW?

My opinion on lenses for these are either acrylic, which is difficult because the housing is so short, or DTR's 2 element 520nm AR coated lens. Neither of these gives to rectangular artifact that sits to the side of the focused dot.

Do you know the reason why some lenses do not create that rectangular artifact?

It seems to be a reflection of the laser's die, but why only this one glass lens doesn't give it, I couldn't say. I have tried other 520nm AR coated lenses with no success. The acrylic lenses have no AR coating from what I've been able to find researching this problem. Was this a rhetorical question? Do you know?

It seems to be a reflection of the laser's die, but why only this one glass lens doesn't give it, I couldn't say. I have tried other 520nm AR coated lenses with no success. The acrylic lenses have no AR coating from what I've been able to find researching this problem. Was this a rhetorical question? Do you know?

It doesn't make sense if lenses are the same type. I have a JL 405 nm with that annoying square artifact.

Last edited:
There must be a significant difference between the lenses that have this problem and those that don't. I just don't know what it is.

Perhaps. I'm just very happy to have found two that don't. I ordered several of DTR's 2 element lenses and I already have lots of acrylic ones. I may try to go after the reason at some point, but for now, I'm happy to have alternatives.

Hmm,

I wonder how their (sanwu) lenses compare. They only offer "G2" and "G7" whatever that means. I really don't want a square artifact. I can live with some artifacts, or not a perfect dot (my 445nm oblong doesn't bother me). But I don't want that big square artifact lol.

I'm concerned with their lenses because they seem to have a generic description for all of their diodes. And obviously that makes a difference in the beam/dot patterns.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and build my own. I know nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own... But I'm very busy lately and figured it would save me the time, plus the hosts that they offer do look pretty nice.

Gazen

These are the lens options, I think that the 55mW is measured with a 3 element, with a different lens it will meter higher. Sure, there are significant losses, but on my 490 I don’t see the box.

Just in case you didn’t see this yet
https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/lenses

Last edited:
Well, I couldn't take it anymore lol...

I just ordered a Sanwu Challenger II, (492nm 100mW), with the G7 lens. I hope that they send the standard (included lens as well). I left additional notes to please include if possible. That way I have the two lenses to decide what I like better.

Now I have to fight the urge that I have to buy a 488nm pen for color comparison.

Man I forgot how addicting these things are. I literally hopped back on the website for the first time, with no intentions of shopping (just wanted to see what's new). And within a day and a half, already purchased a laser =D

Last edited:
If I just had to buy a Sanwu to get 490nm in a handheld laser, I would still buy the 2 element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR. I haven't tested the losses from one yet, but it can't be worse than the 3 element lens from Sanwu. You would have to change the lens yourself, but you'd likely have to do that anyway as Sanwu often tells their customers to do. Unfortunately, Sanwu uses glue to hold lenses in place. That seems like a really bad idea to me, but it is what they do.

Gazen

Well, I couldn't take it anymore lol...

I just ordered a Sanwu Challenger II, (492nm 100mW), with the G7 lens. I hope that they send the standard (included lens as well). I left additional notes to please include if possible. That way I have the two lenses to decide what I like better.

Now I have to fight the urge that I have to buy a 488nm pen for color comparison.

Man I forgot how addicting these things are. I literally hopped back on the website for the first time, with no intentions of shopping (just wanted to see what's new). And within a day and a half, already purchased a laser =D

Congratulations, I have a challenger 1 and the machining is great. Btw, there is a discount code that gives you 8% off:

LPFOFF08

If you email them they might refund you the 8%.

I know the feeling of laser addiction, don’t buy too many, I know it’s hard with these new wavelengths :crackup:

Last edited:
Congratulations, I have a challenger 1 and the machining is great. Btw, there is a discount code that gives you 8% off:

LPFOFF08

If you email them they might refund you the 8%.

I know the feeling of laser addiction, don’t buy too many, I know it’s hard with these new wavelengths :crackup:

Darnit.... I will try and email them the discount code. Thanks!

Oh man, I know. My wife will kill me, that's the only thing keeping hold on my wallet. Seriously when I "left" for a while, NONE of these wavelengths were available like this. We had regular green (DPSS modules only), violet, IR, and the new 445nm. Everything else was crazy expensive and out of justifiable reach for me. I come back and there is 470, 488, 490, 505, 520. Its like mind overload. Can you even buy high power green DPSS modules anymore? Lol or is it all the way of diodes now?

Existotem is selling 532nm 1350 mW lab lasers for $400.00, so they are not as high as you remember. I have one, though I got mine used. It is the same laser though. Only new.