Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 488nm vs 492nm?

Gazen

Darnit.... I will try and email them the discount code. Thanks!

Oh man, I know. My wife will kill me, that's the only thing keeping hold on my wallet. Seriously when I "left" for a while, NONE of these wavelengths were available like this. We had regular green (DPSS modules only), violet, IR, and the new 445nm. Everything else was crazy expensive and out of justifiable reach for me. I come back and there is 470, 488, 490, 505, 520. Its like mind overload. Can you even buy high power green DPSS modules anymore? Lol or is it all the way of diodes now?

It’s still hard to beat a well made dpss 532 for divergence without a beam expander.

Enjoy your new laser, hopefully podo will refund you some :)

GSS

Darnit.... I will try and email them the discount code. Thanks!

Oh man, I know. My wife will kill me, that's the only thing keeping hold on my wallet. Seriously when I "left" for a while, NONE of these wavelengths were available like this. We had regular green (DPSS modules only), violet, IR, and the new 445nm. Everything else was crazy expensive and out of justifiable reach for me. I come back and there is 470, 488, 490, 505, 520. Its like mind overload. Can you even buy high power green DPSS modules anymore? Lol or is it all the way of diodes now?
The M140's and NUM44 have been alot cheaper for couple years.."The newer NUM44's can do 8W's now if pushed hard"!
520's are getting cheaper, but these 488's, 495's, 505's actually surfaced kinda recent, so if you came back 6 months ago maby your wallet would be safe:whistle:

About a year ago you missed out on some 473-478nm diodes too. Oddly enough those ones have better divergence than the bdr 209s, being engineering sample from sharp trying to make 488nm. None of the other new diodes from sharp have specs quite as good.

There's also cheap 565nm and 575nm DPSS that surfaced the other week

Craziness.....

A 470 range blue would be nice to have as well. Gotta have all shades. Lol

I know it's not really related to the topic, but where is a good place to buy green laser modules now? Like the traditional DPSS? I was thinking about buying a higher power module for my old green build in the future. But all of the sites that I used to go to are either gone, or I forgot them. DTR just has diodes. My laser is already set up for a dpss module, a direct drop in place would be nice.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

How powerful?
Fasttech has "5mw" ones for around $5 that can do 100mw+ and probably average 70 to 80mw. I have 1 that does 124mw but the IR is included in all as the usual.
They have a pot and member Pman has found 430mah is the best setting..These are the 500mw initial pump diodes. At $5 a pop they are fun when you can get a bunch.
Member Paul had found "Aplighting" modules with a 1W initial pump can do 200mw+ but they are around $50 to $60..
Some have special ordered top notch 500mw or 600mw modules units from Jet lasers but I don't think they come with all the optic's but I think Jet lasers has stopped selling just the modules as it's a hassle for them??

Last edited:
Still have some Fasttech ones and some Aptlightingworld ones left in my stock. The Apt ones have a 1 watt pump diode. I got these about five years ago. Haven't done a HH 532nm build in quite some time now.

Ill probably leave mine as it is then for now, I thought that 200mW+ would be easy now that so much has changed.

It's supposedly a 150mW module. I got from Nextbox? I think? A long time ago that's for sure.

I had started my build out with a 100mW o-like module, and I fried it out because I didn't realize that it had no reverse polarity protection and put the battery in backwards (only a few short minutes after installing it) lol. That's when I ordered the 150mW module. I never got it measured, but back then that seller was pretty reputable, and it seemed brighter than the 100mW o-like (for the few short minutes that I seen it before I put the battery in backwards) lol.

Last edited:
Yeah I haven't found a 532nm module with a driver that has polarity protection. The driver on these are fairly cheap. I heat sink the driver output transistor and heat sink the module at the level of the pump diode to push them as high as they can go. I can get ~200 mW out of one depending on the module.

I’m not sure if it was mentioned... About those short acrylic lens holders...
for the purpose of a longer thread, you can extract the acrylic lens from its plastic holder and it’ll fit into the longer brass holder. DTR sells empty holders. Just carefully rock a razor blade length wise on the plastic holder. Then when you’re close just pry it open with a jeweler screwdriver or similar.
SGD :beer:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's good to know, SGD, I've always been going to try and take an acrylic lens module apart and re-use the lens, but never have; I've wondered how easily they would come apart. :yh:

That's good to know, SGD, I've always been going to try and take an acrylic lens module apart and re-use the lens, but never have; I've wondered how easily they would come apart. :yh:

Yeah super easy. When you start prying it open that little retainer ring in the back is all that keeps it in. That’ll push out with a tiny plain head.
SGD :beer:

I suspected as much as the holders are plastic. I didn't have a good holder to transfer them into, so hadn't tried it yet.

Radim

So, since these diodes tend to vary per individual diode. Does anybody know if Sanwu actually tests them? Or do they just use one of these diodes and label it 488nm?

I'm just curious if it's possible that their "492nm @ 100mW" and their "488nm at 55mW" is tested anyways.

So let's say, is it possible to order the "492nm @ 100mW and end up with a diode that's putting out closer to 488. Or vice versa?

Hard Question... Both are Awesome wavelengths... :umbrella: