Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Santa got me 8 20X DVD burners - death ray time!

Silly question I haven't seen addressed here...how much heat does one of these red DVD laser diode beams generate?  I know it lights a match, pops a balloon, and turns a retina from rare to extra crispy, but what is that in degrees?

Thanks!
Bill

Kenom

Re: Santa got me 8 20X DVD burners - death ray tim

the beam itself doesn't generate heat.  it's just light.  Light as it passes through air doesn't generate heat.  so the "beam" is heatless.

Heat in degrees is not an accurate way of determining power from a laser, since the medium that the light is shining onto affects how much energy is absorbed and how much heat is generated. It's just not a matter of heat. it's light.

Switch

You could shine it on a very small sharpied thermometer to see to what extent the energy from the beam turns into heat and the thermometer head becomes increasingly hot as it fails to disipate that heat..... ;D

LarryQ

I want to hear your yeald rate harvesting 8 Diodes...!!!!!

LED's don't count... ;D

Larry

Basically the light has no heat. It impacts on different materials and their molecules become excited, moving around and bumping into each other, thus creating heat. The amount of heat is determined by the material.

Switch

Black plastic definetly gets hot enough to boil water :p just throwing that out there....

Actually a combination of the heat absorbtion and teh thermal conductivity of the receiving material. This is why I can cook a hole through black plastic, yet I can't even feel the beam when focused on my skin.

Now - LET'S HEAR ABOUT THE 20x DIODE HARVEST - and what you plan to do with all the diodes you get... :)

Dave

Mrs. Bill and I are sick right now so I'm not messing with them. Being snucky and on meds doesn't make for good decisionmaking or dexterity.

I'm not too concerned about the harvest. I got an electronics degree in the USAF; I just need to take my time and do things safely and correctly.

Rhith

Wow, well more then wanting to know how it turns out I want to see a picture of all of these! ;D Oh, and get well soon. ;)