Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety Glasses

Will the safety glasses I got with my Dragon Viper Series 95mW Green Laser Pointer be adequate for the Spartan Series 1W Blue Handheld Laser? I have not received the Spartan yet, so it may even come with safety glasses?

I have had the Viper for two years and it is a great laser.

Thanks

tom

Last edited:

Dragon Lasers goggles are generally good.

Unfortunately unless you know specifically that the goggles you have are rated for 445nm (blue) at OD (optical density) 3+ you will need another pair.

Refer to my signature for good goggles.

TuhOz

As InfinitusEquitas said, if they are these goggles
LSG02.jpg

Or rated OD4, it should work

Yeah of course :whistle:
:D

You never know:p

I have a friend who was convinced by some convoluted logic that his expensive sunglasses would work well against a laser, since they were expensive and high quality...

So being the cruel person that I am... took out a pair of cheapo goggles from radiant... and his.

The ones from radiant lasted about 5 seconds. The sunglasses got a hole in under two... and passed light through immediately.

He was kind of pissed about the hole in his $200+ sunglasses:eg:

Reactions: ARG

ARG

You never know:p

I have a friend who was convinced by some convoluted logic that his expensive sunglasses would work well against a laser, since they were expensive and high quality...

So being the cruel person that I am... took out a pair of cheapo goggles from radiant... and his.

The ones from radiant lasted about 5 seconds. The sunglasses got a hole in under two... and passed light through immediately.

He was kind of pissed about the hole in his $200+ sunglasses:eg:

:crackup: 200$ sunglasses? I would be raging mad!

Serves him right though, thinking expensive sunglasses would stand up to goggles actually meant for blocking lasers :thinking:

Oh he was pissed... I let him keep the ones from radiant... the hole in the goggles is on the side shield... his glasses are done for though...

I should mention... this was a rather drunken experiment... I don't think we would have done it sober. We did all wear safety goggles while "experimenting":p

Another guy was surprised that putting his hand in the beam of a 2W+ laser hurt... he needed a band aid for a small burn:evil:

Last edited:
OK, I checked the goggles I have, they are marked 532 nm, 190-540 nm, A001-1. So I guess they are OK for 447 nm, but I don't know about the OD (optical density). Does the A001-1 refer to the OD?

They also have ANSI Z87.1 on the other temple.

Last edited:
ANSI refers to a company association w/e you want to call it that sets safety standards for working/industrial safety equipment ie: safety glasses, boots, gloves etc. You may be able to google those numbers and get the exact specs on the goggles.

Or something like that, haha. I know from working in a steel plant that ANSI had rated goggles for welding lasers.

OK, I checked the goggles I have, they are marked 532 nm, 190-540 nm, A001-1. So I guess they are OK for 447 nm, but I don't know about the OD (optical density). Does the A001-1 refer to the OD?

They also have ANSI Z87.1 on the other temple.

Just contact DL and ask them... ANSI can refer to any number of standards afaik... like impact resistance, chemical resistance, that kind of stuff.

ANSI 87 is the standard for mechanical properties, like the safety glasses you need for working with power tools. ANSI 136 is about laser safety. If that one along with the OD and wavelength isn't mentioned on the safety glasses they aren't real certified laser safety glasses.

As InfinitusEquitas said, if they are these goggles
LSG02.jpg

Or rated OD4, it should work

I have these goggles, and from my experience I can report that they will do the job for a 1W 447mn Spartan and for a 400mW 532nm green.