Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety glasses from a US seller?

I got the ML7s for like $130 or something each? Maybe it was a little more, but they're from OEM Laser systems. The also work for 405nm (bluray), almost too well, but considering how high powered those laser have become it could come in handy. You can choose which style you want as well; I got style 35.

The nice thing about these? You really only need one pair for everything but high-powered red (and blue, but who cares about that?), and it blocks out IR very well. The tint is also a nice green.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the 7.5% coupon code: NOR200801

It's supposedly expired, but worth a shot. Who knows?

Those cheap glasses have a very low OD or optical density rating. The higher the OD, the more green light the glasses block. Those glasses would probably be fine with a weaker laser, but when you get up there in power (100mW+ just to be safe) The glasses will start passing exponentially more green light. They would be better than nothing, but you really should get a higher OD rating with a laser as strong as you are looking to get.

Here is what I use...

DeWalt DW0714 Laser Enhancement Glasses at PlumberSurplus.com

I bought these 5 years ago when green blocking glasses were all over $60. I paid about $15.00 IIRC. They work perfectly for my 125mW fusion, you can just barely see an orange spot. Other people have calculated the OD for this pair around 6.

Look at my post further up in this thread, there are a lot more for around the same price. Most of them are US sellers too so shipping will be cheaper.

For red lasers I've heard you can use these.

Sports Sunglasses

The OD rating is equivalent to something around 8 or 9, so most weaker red lasers will be completely invisible with these. I've never had a pair, or used a pair, but I've heard that they do work, in fact they work a little too well.

Trevor

I know it might sound a bit ignorant but if the cheap goggles have gotten good reviews and supposedly work at the purpose they were meant for, I think I will have to go with those. I don't have the budget for $150 goggles right now and the cheap ones that work are much better than nothing!

Another thing is that I hope to buy a few pairs so I don't always need to use my laser alone. That's even harder if I'd need to pay $300, $450, or $600 to use my laser socially.

-CAM

Just please still careful, even when wearing these. I have OD4 goggles at 532nm, and I'm still very, very careful when working with 1.5W CW. :thanks:

Don't be another horror story in this section. :)

-Trevor

I don't have a LPM, but I can say that they block pretty much all visible green light from shining through them.(at my 125mW power level) If you take the glasses and shine the laser at a corner (it actually will melt the glasses) you can see what actually makes it through. With my laser it is a spot about the size of a pinhead. The beam after the glasses is visible as a weak spot (way less than 5mW) for about 6 inches, then it is indistinguishable.

I doubt that I could even measure the output after the glasses even with a LPM, it probably would not even read. However, if you leave the laser in one spot for too long, it will melt through. It is very noticeable (and makes a cool pattern) but the laser will start to make a bullseye shape that gets bigger and bigger till the beam is pretty much all through.

If you get a pair of glasses with questionable quality just shine the laser through them in a place that is not directly in your line of vision. Move the laser a bit while you do so to keep it from melting a hole. You should easily be able to tell if it is "eye safe" or not. I like to think it is not eye safe until I can barely tell if the laser is on or not. Use your best judgment!

I actually got my glasses from Home Depot or Lowes IIRC. They might have a pair that you can "test" They are packaged in a clear box with yellow tape around the middle. You could get a clear shot at a corner to check pretty easily.That is how I actually came to find that they worked, before that it was all speculation.

WRM

You only have one set of eyes. I would not take a chance with glasses that were made for a different purpose. (They might work....). Get certified laser eye protection. Consider how much you paid for your laser. Your eyes are worth way more than that. One shot or close reflection to the eye is all that it could take to cause damage, sometimes even at low powers. If you are new to this forum (or not), don't take this lightly. Don't take a chance with your eyes. It's easier than you think to take a quick reflection when you are not being careful. You can't buy new eyes. OEM Laser Systems sells certified eye protection in a variety of frames covering any conceivable wavelength or stlye. Here is a a link to their site. Tony is a great guy who you can trust your eyes to. Bill

Laser Protective Eyewear : OEM Laser Systems, Inc., Precision Laser Equipment

Thank you, just ordered a set of Style 35 ELP. Not cheap at almost $150 shipped but you only get one set of eyes. Mine were lasered on purpose when I had LASIK 6 years ago. I'd rather not do it again on accident...

Yeah he used to have cheaper hobbyist glasses for around $40, now all his glasses are big bucks. Not a good incentive to buy safety glasses when they cost more than the laser. He screwed himself from a lot of business he could have generated by the younger members here.