Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safe to burn without IR filter?

I just got my first 200mw greenie from o-like and decided I'd better get some safety goggles. I ordered two pairs of safety glasses from dragon lasers Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

I am wandering how safe it will be to burn things even though there most likely is no IR filter in my laser. Is it safe to burn with the safety goggles on even though the IR gets though as long as there is no direct beam reflection? How close can I get to the beam without damaging my eyes? Did I just waste 60 dollars on 2 pairs of glasses that are not going to protect my eyes?!

Thanks for the help ;)

Try getting an IR filter for your laser, that would be the neat solution. These multiple wavelength glasses probably work, but I'm not sure about them.

Those glasses you linked to will not block 808nm which will be the IR wavelength that leaks from an unfiltered green laser.

I think you will be ok as long as you keep basic safety precautions in mind.
The only way you can be exposed to dangerous amounts of IR (with or without goggles) is if you use your laser in a way that would expose you to dangerous amounts of green light.

If you are not comfortable with it still, install an IR filter or next time buy one that already has it installed.