Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safe temperature for LD.

I was wondering if anyone has done any tinkering with temperatures of a laser diode. I do know that without my TEC module cooling my diode, I run it for 1 minute 30 seconds and the temp inside the aixiz is 106° Fahrenheit. With the TEC on, after 2 minutes, the temperature is 64° Fahrenheit. I was just wondering if anyone would know a safe operating temperature for 100% duty cycle. I have ran my diode at 300 mA for 8 minutes straight at 64° Fahrenheit. So I would assume this is pretty much 100% duty cycle. ;)

doesnt each diode have a recommended temp??

i know the red diodes i get do

Benm

Diodes usually have a recommended max output power and supply current, the area of safe operation is where neither are exceeded. In case of the GB diodes in CW operation this is 130 mA or 80 mW from the datasheet.

Running on lower temperatures does prolong diode life and increases optical power for a given current. Still, if the optical power exceeds the maximum from the datasheet, the diode could fail due to optical degradation.

L

likewhat

I have run diodes that had a max current of 160 mA at 120 mA that were cooled to around 65 F for over a year continuously without ever turning them off, I think you will be OK.

Benm

As long as you stay within stated current and power levels, you should be able to run them that long. Usually manufacturers claim a life of 10.000 hours under those conditions.

L

likewhat

What kills diode lasers is not usually temperature but transients in voltage and/or current, like from turning them on and off with a circuit that doesnt slowly bring up the current but rather snaps it on.