Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Safe Backdrops

Gazoo

The best way to be proactive is with eye protection, and as I recall you did order goggles? You can "peek" under them to see the beam while keeping your eyes protected from the dot.

Another way would be to build a beam dump. To buy one would probably cost you around as much as you paid for the laser.

Do a search on google for laser beam dump and you will get some more ideas :)

Justin

Black painted or anodized metal will work the best because it will both absorb and dissapate the heat. Using an insulative material like cloth or plastic could theoretically present a fire hazard, to it's best to use a thermally conductive material like metal. Try ripping an old heat sink out of a PC or stereo amplifer and then painting it black. For any handheld device it should work just fine.

Things

i think he has goggles, but it's when people walk into the room when he's using it i think he is trying to prevent. and even if people do walk into the room, thye won't be blinded if the laser is shining off a white wall. i think that's how he wants to do it?

Gazoo

Yeah, I know. But he doesn't have the goggles yet. They are on the way. :)

Things

oh i forgot that! oh well, at least he is protected when he gets them, and if he has a safe backdrop, other people will be fine too. i don't see why some thickish black plastic won't work, i mean even if he does focus the laser on one point of it and leaves it on, it will only melt a hole in the plastic, then shine through. i highly doubt that it would catch on fire!

Gazoo

Well thick black plastic will not catch on fire, but it will smoke and stink.. ;D