Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

S*KY 532nm 50mW Portable Evaluation

Hey all. Here's an evaluation of the S*KY 532nm 50mW Portable in the silver color. This purchase was made for the sole purpose of evaluation and I had no preconceived expectations about the product. The battery used was a Tenergy 18650 3.7V 2600maH fully charged. This is a bit different in that the evaluation is a video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/mV5TsFmlABE[/media]​

The vendor knew this purchase was for evaluation but by the looks of what was delivered I was sold something left over from the dark ages. Most vendors would have provided a system that at least met the specifications advertised. A response to an email I sent suggest I should do this or that but as a customer I shouldn't have to tweak THEIR systems to make it work. Now S*KY is welcome to send me another at their cost including paying the import fees (which I paid last time as well as filling out their 2877) to evaluate, but I will not be purchasing another portable from them until I'm satisfied that this unit was some kind of mistake which I would find hard to believe.

My recommendation: NO GO unless you are really sure you want it.

Quite a scathing review!

I must say I think you're being far too nitpicky on the build quality (although it definitely leaves room for improvement!). I wouldn't be surprised if your yanking that endcap off the threads so many times lead to the battery pushing the cap off later  :p

That said, I concur with your power test. Other than the initial reviews for that 200mW GB, I've only seen underpower after underpower out of them. This now stands as the 2nd review I've seen of an underpower S-KY to add to two of my own to underpower S-KY units.

Gazoo

IMO the build quality is terrible..the whole laser is pathetic.

the GB ones were A LOT better though. at least mine was!

My dead mans switch failed on me, the solder was weak, and now I have to re solder it....

Razako

amkdeath said:
the GB ones were A LOT better though. at least mine was!

My dead mans switch failed on me, the solder was weak, and now I have to re solder it....
While you have it opened up you should just short the area where the dongle plugs in and effectively remove the need for it. You will probably get more power by doing so because the dongles can suffer from poor connectivity issues.

i hate to say this but my LG Orion had the exact same issue with the battery tailcap :eek:

Amnizu said:
Holy shit. Not figuratively either. That thing is awful.

The only 2 bad units I have seen from them is "joenobody" 's laser, and this guy's. The ones everyone else received were pretty kik @$$!!

If Dr. Lava and others had not beat S*KY about the head and neck, chances are you and others would have received crap also. Those running the group buy basically had to tell S*KY how to build the lasers properly as well as how to provide the FDA required labeling and safety features.

There is one rule that always take precedence: You buy cheap, you get cheap. Without Dr. L and the others who rode the manufacturer through the whole process you would have got what you paid for. The group buy worked out well but not because of S*KY. It worked out well because of those individuals who pressured a company who would have provided garbage to do it right, at least for the group buy.

I'm already seeing reports of people who have to fix the interlock safety and other things. The jury is still out as to whether these lasers are kick a** as they have been described. We'll see.

awirq

can anyone tell me , what is the "GB" ? and whats the difference between Evaluation and GB?

Thnaks,
Awf

Evaluation = review
GB = Group Buy = Someone makes a large purchase and gets a bulk discount, and passes the savings onto the members

awirq

omg , thats so simple , i know the meaning of group buy , but i didnt think that GB - Group Buy , i was thinking and i didnt find out until now , thanks spyro

-Awf