Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RT9163 -Driver circuit help?

SyKo

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here, i've been going through my spare bits and i keep seeing a RT9163 SMD in alot of my CD/DVD drives.

My LM317's have been in the post for about a month now and im looking for some alternatives for low power laser drivers (no more than 250mA at most).

and so im asking if this Linear voltage regulator could fit into a modified LM317 circuit?

Datasheet: http://www.cheertech.com.tw/RichTek CD/Docs/DS9163-22.pdf

i dont mind if theyre in-efficient or anything i just want them to be able to power some IR and Red LD's ive got from 4x DVD-RW's.

any help and circuit designs are greatly appreciated.

SyKo

Any idea's on alternate Circuits / Components that i might be able to make from scavenged parts? (mostly full computers) i have all the resistors and capacitors i need but i just cant find those regulators!

djQUAN

Look for the 1117 type regulators. But they also have versions that are fixed so you still need to check which version is present.

Last edited:

SyKo

cant seem to find any of those, although looking on the web i've seen alot of Drivers for LED's and such that regulate some part of the current using Transistors and zener diodes.

could i possibly make a circuit from these ? i have 100 of these zener diodes and quite a few Transistors.

just trying to find some sort of circuit that can power a LD but not use a LM317 / 1117 etc etc.