Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RPL-300 and a round cut diamond...any ideas ?

Haha, a bit harsh Cyparagon? :p

Ken's guess holds SOME water. The diamond will have some issues and won't be able to help absorbing SOME energy - its the same general idea that causes teh infamous COD failure in a laser diode. However, as Krutz said, diamond is an amazing conductor and to get enough energy out of a green laser to actually harm the diamond you'd probably need some insane megawatt pulses - not milliwatts.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is diamond cutters utilize CO2 lasers which emit 10,600nm light. At that wavelength, many apparently translucent things like glass becomes opaque and absorbs much of the energy. Not to mention CO2 lasers are often found CW in the hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of watts and are very energy efficient.

Kenom

I completely forgot that diamond is the best thermal conductor we've found (with the exception of composites)

danq

I knew people with more factual knowledge would fill in... :cool:

:p I'm just playing the nattering nabob of negativity for this post (thanks, Spiro) :p

I'm no misogynist, but there are statistical gender differences, and this is one that I know from lots of trials and an informal poll: females are extremely less likely to be interested in your laser than you (this could be a topic for lots of discussion I'll bet).

So your new bride, unless she's an unusual woman, may not be very enthusiastic about you playing with lasers on her ring! She might like the show - for a few minutes - but anything more than that and she's likely faking it.

Or not... ymmv!
;)
DanQ

females are extremely less likely to be interested in your laser than you

Oh yeah... But I'm hoping that when I make a blu-ray she'll go "oooohhhh"... she likes blue. I keep trying... :)

koti

danq said:
I knew people with more factual knowledge would fill in...  :cool:

:p I'm just playing the nattering nabob of negativity for this post (thanks, Spiro) :p

I'm no misogynist, but there are statistical gender differences, and this is one that I know from lots of trials and an informal poll: females are extremely less likely to be interested in your laser than you (this could be a topic for lots of discussion I'll bet).

So your new bride, unless she's an unusual woman, may not be very enthusiastic about you playing with lasers on her ring! She might like the show - for a few minutes - but anything more than that and she's likely faking it.

Or not... ymmv!
;)
DanQ

Thats why Im gonna snatch the ring and play with it while shes asleep, ofcourse  :p
Common man...You had to know that since youre knowledge about women seems extremely cutting edge  :p
(no irony intended)

koti

I spent 5 hours at a diamond store today browsing thru loose stones with a proper magnifing glass, comparing cuts, colors, flaws, etc.
Apparently the owner of the store got badly screwed when buying a new PC and some web design software for his new employee (thats the guy who screwed him over)
Since I know nothing about diamonds and I work as an instructor for hp for 8 years, and this guy knows everything about diamonds and nothing about PC's, we came into a nice "cooperation"  :p

After browsing thru all these beautiful diamonds today, I came into a simple conclusion: I will NOT shine my RPL-300 thru ANY diamond without OD 4+ glasses on my nose, period.

Plus my future wife will have a realy, realy beautiful stone in her ring which is most important from all of this  :)

PS. I just lighted a match from about 6 feet away on current level 8 (reccomended highest output for my unit)
I also instantly lighted a match from about 12 inches away on current level 2.
Pops baloons instantly, beam looks so awesome that I can only compare it to an 8,45 carat, $400 K diamond which I was shown today at the store after the guy locked us inside ;)
He was eating lunch and I was drooling over this thing with a magnifing glass for like 10 minutes untill he snatched it away from me, lol :p
I can see why people spend milions on these things...its kinda addictive, realy...

koti said:
My friend "had" a Canon EOS 30D...we went to take some street night shots on a bridge...he left the shutter open on a tripod for a few seconds and one of the cars hit the long beams into the open shutter from very close, but just for a instant...the sensor died instantly and was beyond any repair...they had to exchange it to a new one.
So I will not try my cammera (EOS 40D) and I dont have a camcorder so it leaves gogles :p

Shining lots of photons into a 350 ml year old piece of shiny rock, I wonder if its gonna be any cool :)

Hehe..don't get too excited. Most diamonds in the market are synthetically made, not millions of years old ;)

Congrats !

koti

Hehe..don't get too excited.  Most diamonds in the market are synthetically made, not millions of years old ;)

Congrats !

Yep, there' called zirconia and they dont show as a narural, carbon diamond in a chemical test which I insisted on performing. They also dont come with a "Gemological Institute of America" certificate ;)

RobTheVIP said "Hehe..don't get too excited. Most diamonds in the market are synthetically made, not millions of years old ;) Congrats !"
Please note: there is a difference from Cubic Zirconia, or other STIMULANTS and a diamond real or man made, if it has the chemical, optical and physical properties of a diamond it's diamond. Experts can tell if it's man made "SYNTHETIC" the other STIMULANTS are not carbon crystals!
About the laser into the diamond, I have done this but with no more than 50 mW as the little beams are hard to be sure where to avoid and protect our eyes. a short shroud around the diamond from a short section of a tissue or paper towel roll cardboard can block rays that don't go toward the ceiling or screen helps for eye safety. The CZ or diamond will be unaffected (unless it is plastic fracture filled) when illuminated with less than 1 watt. Even fracture filled should be safe to about 160 mW. I noticed a cleaner pattern with real diamond as apposed to CZ, the later had lines and dots from less sharp facet junctions.
Congrats koti! -Glenn Gemologist and 40 yr Diamond Expert GIA etc.