Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RIP DL 5mW 594nm

VW

http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/Orange-Laser-price0-p-1-c-267.html

Was just browsing their site and notice their 2mW and 5mW yellow/orange pointer (594nm) are now gone. They've replaced it with a 1mW - 3mW (2mW - 10mW on the specifications) pointer priced at $350. I'm wondering what it is they've actually done with the product, is it possible they've just took the 5mW unit and gave it a lower power rating because of the inconcistancies the power output has? I had a feeling the product would change slightly when they went out of stock, I was thinking of getting one of the 5mW ones as well.

Ace82

Probably had to many RMA's now more generalized so the customers will better know what to expect.

daguin

Sawt al Hurriyah said:
:mad: Clearly they are using the [highlight]peak [/highlight]output value, NOT average.

You misspelled [highlight]imaginary [/highlight]there.

Peace,
dave

Well, you can't necessarily say it's the company. The orange/yellow/amber lasers are already unstable as a one year old baby with one leg. And the dragon lasers staff probably speak less English than one.
;D

VW

I would concider the fact that they might not have edited the info on the specifications strip before passing judgement on it's advertised power.

Razako

You could always try sending them an email and asking them about it.

The whole 5mW 593.5nm thing was BS from the start - consistent with the fradulent business practices of Dragon Lasers. As I recall, sawt's was putting out far less than 5mW. The insane instability is understable with a 593.5nm unit (it makes the 473nm DPSS process look simple), but 5mW? CNI only ever made a 0.5-2mW unit as far as I know. Knowing DL, I bet that's what you're getting when you order their higher power units anyway. Sorry for the tirade and pessimism, but I can't pretend DL hasn't done more than enough to deserve it.

VW

pseudonomen137 said:
The whole 5mW 593.5nm thing was BS from the start - consistent with the fradulent business practices of Dragon Lasers. As I recall, sawt's was putting out far less than 5mW. The insane instability is understable with a 593.5nm unit (it makes the 473nm DPSS process look simple), but 5mW? CNI only ever made a 0.5-2mW unit as far as I know. Knowing DL, I bet that's what you're getting when you order their higher power units anyway. Sorry for the tirade and pessimism, but I can't pretend DL hasn't done more than enough to deserve it.
Out of interest, why do you hate DL so much?

VW said:
[quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1212761062/0#8 date=1212803083]The whole 5mW 593.5nm thing was BS from the start - consistent with the fradulent business practices of Dragon Lasers. As I recall, sawt's was putting out far less than 5mW. The insane instability is understable with a 593.5nm unit (it makes the 473nm DPSS process look simple), but 5mW? CNI only ever made a 0.5-2mW unit as far as I know. Knowing DL, I bet that's what you're getting when you order their higher power units anyway. Sorry for the tirade and pessimism, but I can't pretend DL hasn't done more than enough to deserve it.
Out of interest, why do you hate DL so much?[/quote]
Here is part of the reason
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1189186835/0

VW

It's not as if they've been as bad as most companies. I mean, not long ago I got a laser which was just found to me more than 60mW over spec...

Milos

yes, 594nm portable lasers are all extremely unstable at least power vise. Some even can't retain yellow color.

here is an offer for a 20mW PGL yellow unit. You can be assured its a complete BS and that you won't get anywhere close to 20mW.
http://www.amazing1.com/laser_pointers.htm

CNI will custom make up to 40mW PGL style but they won't guarantee stability, and they will charge you like 2-3K.

cheers

VW

Just a little info on the new pointer, I asked DL and they said the pen has been rediesigned to these specifications (1mW - 3mW) and the old models wont be coming back. They also said:

"High powered orange laser in Spartan case is coming soon."

Oh yes! Sounds interesting, I really hope they can do something good with it. The better heat sink should help a lot compared to the pen, but I'm not sure exactly how high pwered they can go. I certainly wouldn't expect more than 5mW - 8mW.

But yeah, I did want one of the pens as the Vega is stupidly (but rightly) expensive. However I think holding out and seeing what this new Spartan might bring would be a good idea. I think it's guarenteed I'll be looking at at least $700 - $800, but being in the Spartan host would be so much better. Maybe not as stable as a batton host, but certainly more stable than a CNI pen.

Oh well..
I was wanting to get the DL 5mw 593.5nm, but it looks like I'll get the Aurora BP instead. ($50 reduction!!)
I don't think anything else was changed, though.