Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Right inline resistance for the OSRAM PLT 510 in lieu of its own module.

EMSONE

Looking for computational formula for the best inline R1 for this device. Datasheet says Voltage is 5 - 7 and the device performs very nicely pulsed. Want to keep it pulsed and reliable. Pinouts are two and three connections and I want a two-pin connection with a safety R1 in place. Or. . . best miniature regulator to marry to it.

wJlfV.jpg

What do you mean by "inline R1", or "safety R1"? Do you mean "current-limiting resistor"?

Also, I have precisely no idea how one can substitute "inline resistance" for "its own module". Please elaborate.

EMSONE

Yes, current limiting resistor. Assemblies come with their own module and with the appropriate markup. Not a very big deal, but I want to experiment with different values all around without burning out my device. It's a 3 volt device, but has a datasheet showing 7 volts and it takes it well with a module. Now I want to order more without the modules and I need a current limiting value for a six volt p/s.

Using a resistor isn't advisable for high power draw devices. If you travel beyond your 1970s electronics, you'll see we're in the solid state age now. We use constant current regulators. These are often adjustable, and are certainly cheaper than a set of power resistors. I implore you, purchase a well suited "Driver", as they're called. There are several sticky threads that should help you with a selection.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
You'll never achieve stable output with just a simple resistor as your 'driver'. As the internal temperature of the laser itself changes so will the forward drop of the diode. Like Cyparagon said above, you need a constant current regulated driver made for laser diodes.