Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB with 14k gold host Ft. Boba Fett

Hey guys Joe here!!
I just finished my 14k Gold build. Its a gold host I got from "Livinloud"!
It has the 120mW 520nm diode from DTR with a survival laser driver(445 mA).
It puts out about 160 mW on initial testing. The battery charge was unknown so I wanna re test it.
The 445 is a m-140 powered to 1250mA. It puts out about 1120mW.
the red is an Oclaro 638nm 700mW diode powered also at 1250 mA! it puts out almost 800mW!
The longboard is a recent purchase when I went to the beach and forgot mine at home. Its a santa cruz board with Boba Fett on it.
I need to do a build thread for the 14k host so hold on guys...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rgb!.jpg
    rgb!.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 490
  • rgb fetta.jpg
    rgb fetta.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 435
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:

OP updated with one pic! Best I could do right now!
Thanks again Livinloud!! It has not gone to waste!!

Last edited:
Really nice RGB beamshot. Like that 520nm's host. I really need to do an RGB picture sometime.

Looks awesome, cant wait for that build thread. Glad it got good use :beer:

SteveT

Great pic and serves as a very good benchmark to compare and contrast beam visibility as power varies across the spectrum.

Well thanks guys! My build thread probably wont be very extensive, for I usually get too caught up in the build to take pics. It will contain crucial info/pics hopefully. Like diode press in and completed heat-sink assembly!
laser on guys!!
PEW PEW

So your the one who got the gold host ae........haha
The M140 and oclaro must be pretty efficient to get those outputs @ 125mA, you sure you didnt forget a zero.....Haha
Nice Beamshots!

I will double check my notes when im not at the bar on mobile and edit in if needed!
Edit. Ha yea im retarded. Fixed

Last edited:
Update: build thread on hold. I was having issues with the tailcap switch. Sometimes hard to get it to actually click. Well all this fiddling and power to driver flickering it led' the diode! So im pretty excited about that if you can imagine!

It shouldn't have...there's no reason toggling the power to the driver/diode should kill either. Have you tested the driver on a test load, or the diode with a different driver?

No i got lazy and just set it down! I got a few other project lasers im messing with.
Once i saw the bright then dim light i was semi flustered and that is always the wrong time to tinker. I have a bunch of cheap 650 diodes i was just going to toss at it. That way i can get the tailcap switch working before trying the 520 again! 80$ diode. Whew!!

Last edited:
Hey that's an awesome set up. For the 520, Did you buy the module/driver already soldered together? Did you get a chance to LPM it before it died? Are you using a good battery?
Haha the nice thing about buying a board when you forget yours is an excuse for a new set up. Then when you return home you have two!

It shouldn't have...there's no reason toggling the power to the driver/diode should kill either.

It's possible if there was a short some where and the switch was toggled on it would be sending power to the driver without lighting the diode. If you didn't see a laser beam you might think the laser was off.
With that said If everything was soldered correctly turning the laser off/on/off/on shouldn't hurt it. Often diodes are designed to be "pulsed".

Yea it put out about 160mw. I got just the bare diode and pressed into a module and soldered. Ive tried a few batts. Ive yet to test load or diode swap it. But ive blown quite a few diodes out of testing and being retarded. This one has that appearance!