Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: SkyRay King (Tmart)

Sky Ray KING 3 x XML-T6
Estimated output is 1,800 - 2,200 Lumens
Uses 4 x 18650 batteries
2 Modes + 1 hidden mode (Strobe)

20140611_183917.jpg

20140611_184913.jpg

About the size of a Soda Can
20140611_184032.jpg

LED's are aligned properly
20140611_183941.jpg

I modified this light to be able to use a single 26650 battery.
20140611_184648.jpg

20140611_184542.jpg

Driver Shot
20140611_184405.jpg

Massive HeatSink
20140611_184412.jpg

Pros:
1.) Shockingly Bright
2.) Unique size/shape
3.) Good run time at about 1.5 hours on high and 15+ hours on low
4.) Very good machine work
5.) Very good anodizing
6.) Good Threads
7.) Great Heat Management
8.) Durable
9.) Can Tail stand
10.) good quality switch
11.) Can lockout

Cons:
1.) Parasitic driver. (Even when off, there is a battery drain of about 1.3 mA, which isn't a big deal considering battery capacity)
2.) No mode memory (Not a big deal)
3.) Doesn't really fit in a pocket to well.
4.) Requires very high quality batteries because of the current draw.

Summary
I have had the privilege to test out this light for the past few months. It has been through rough handling...drops, rain, and snow and it never skipped a beat. I would highly recommend this light to anyone who is looking for a bright light that has a great run time. Any questions on this light, please feel free to ask.

As always, I would like to thank Tmart for providing this light for me to review. This, by far, is the best light that I have tested yet!
http://www.tmart.com/SKY-RAY-SK-KING-XML-T6-15W-3000-4200LM-5-Mode-Flashlight_p141642.html

Last edited:

I've been thinking about buying this flashlight lately, so good timing :beer:
I heard that while bright, it's all spill and no throw, true?

I do have to say though, I've never seen a review without beam shots.
Ones at allocated distances, say a tree at 20 metres, then 50....100 etc.
That way each flashlight can be compared to one another.

But thanks for the review. you've made me want this light even more now.

Cheers.

What about current draw? Thermal paste under LEDs? PWM noticeable on low?

While this is an okay light, for $59AU there are much better deals out there.

Thanks for the review :beer:

@Paul: When I received my 3*xml SRK I was actually quite surprised at the throw. For me it didn't have as much spill as I thought it would.
IMO the best value light in this class would have to be the supfire m6. Better build quality, xml-2 emitters and much better output.
Only problem is shipping from mtn kills the deal, but its a much better choice if you're in the US.

Last edited:

@Paul: When I received my 3*xml SRK I was actually quite surprised at the throw. For me it didn't have as much spill as I thought it would.
IMO the best value light in this class would have to be the supfire m6. Better build quality, xml-2 emitters and much better output.
Only problem is shipping from mtn kills the deal, but its a much better choice if you're in the US.

Now that I think back, I remember it was the 6X LED SRK that had no throw and the 3X was actually supposed to be pretty good.

There are quite a few around for $40 but there are supposed to be a lot of mock ups going around too.

Cheers for the info bud :beer:

I've been thinking about buying this flashlight lately, so good timing :beer:
I heard that while bright, it's all spill and no throw, true?

I do have to say though, I've never seen a review without beam shots.
Ones at allocated distances, say a tree at 20 metres, then 50....100 etc.
That way each flashlight can be compared to one another.

But thanks for the review. you've made me want this light even more now.

Cheers.

I can get beam shots for you. Due to it's raw power....it can throw quite well. It is mostly a flood light

Paste is there. Pwm isn't visually noticeable on low.
Quality on the light that i received was quite high. I'm not sure what's up with the one you have.

OP, you should add some better links to where to buy this to your thread do people realize that $60+ is way too much to pay for this.

You can buy this light for half the price here:
Buy SKYRAY KING New-M6 3 Cree XM-L T6 2500lm 3-Mode White Light Flashlight - Golden (4 x 18650)
Or here:
$40.24 Sky Ray King 3*Cree XM-L U2 3-Mode 2500-Lumen LED Flashlight - 4*18650 / HA-III hard anodized at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Considering the Huge amount of fake SKR's out there, I provided a link to the product that I received and know to be good. I'd hate to direct someone to buy a piece of crap....Not saying your liking to bad products...I just don't know.

I can get beam shots for you. Due to it's raw power....it can throw quite well. It is mostly a flood light

Sure, more for the benefit of your review, as imo I think beam shots make up 80% of a review, but only if you have time to do them.

Cheers.

Thanks for the review it is always nice to see the inside of the lights, with so many different variations out there you never know what will be inside!