Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Sinner Cyperus II XL 2x18650

Of tail-switch mods and switch dissections.

I was looking at some of the internals of the last switch that snapped under the
weight of the brass push button and took some pics.... there is supposed to be a
tiny plastic carrier.... it's gone, but you can get some idea of the tiny surface area that is passing the current. This one while it was alive read about ~6 Ohms. The area used to complete the circuit is about ~1.7mm wide and made of Aluminium.
pitiful...

I also did a brass tail mod today and added an on/off symbol use for many computers. Purely cosmetic. I wanted something to break the Copper and brass tones.

More pics of this host coming....

Attachments

• DSC00925.jpg
    DSC00925.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00924.jpg
    DSC00924.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

IWIRE

Ha ! I like the symbol ! That's cool ! Now carve the symbol out and make it light up blue :)
I think we have exceeded the current capabilities of most switches and the way they are installed. Even the small gauge wire could become problematic. Voltage drop is not your friend. :)
Sinner has built a very versatile host with great thermal capabilities. I'm hoping to see him focus on switches. Undoubtedly he has the skills to achieve the goal.
I think what we will be seeing is a switch that is a machined part of the host. It only makes sense. The thing could carry 100 amps of current and only have one contact point instead of three or four contact points and the surface area of the contact would be huge compared to what we have now. It's only a matter of time.
It seems each new host gets a little more user friendly and better.

Well, it's been a few days so I thought I'd better post an update.
I've been quite busy the last couple days with my FSE students at LGD, we have just started a new semester. My executive level student will be leaving S.Korea for California next month so there is much work to be done for evaluations.

Today I had some time to make some measurements of the incoming switch and do a little long exposure photography. I turned on my laser just to take some pics of some of the lasing action and noticed something rather odd happening.
⅓ of the output seemed to be missing sort of like ( II) then suddenly poof....
Very dim output and suddenly the host became far too hot to touch.

LED'd diode. Great.... :cryyy:

upon disassembly I could not find any reason for the diode to suddenly LED like this. Thermal transfer is excellent, my run time was conservative, the wires were in perfect condition. No shorts... nothing that would cause this. I guess diode with a short life span?
I apologize to sinner as I really wanted to complete this review with all the steps and processes documented. Very very disappointed.
I have come to the decision to shelve this project until further notice as I don't have time to go order another diode nor do I have the funds at this point.

Last edited:

IWIRE

Man ! That sucks. I know that feeling. I thought I had LED`d my 3.5w diode several times. It was a bad ground connection.
Thanks for the update. Sorry it was bad news. :(

Wow!!!! bad luck, I hates when things go wrong after I have put so much effort
into making them right. There are no failures only more data to analyze.

Maybe some humor could help here:

BUTT-HEAD: See, you need, like, stuff that sucks to have stuff that's cool. :>)

sinner

That is quite a few setbacks now, Something tells me the photon gods are pissed.
I've had a 9mm zombied on me at 2.25amps, it ran fine for 2-3 minutes in short runs and when assembled, I was about to put the lens in and checked the raw output for one last time and poof, little bit of smoke from the diode and there goes the lines, a large donut is formed, later that is reduced to a feeble glow.

I never ran a 9mm more than 2.1Amp after that. my 3.3W (2.5Amps) also zombied but after a good 6 months of abuse.So it comes with the package.

That is quite a few setbacks now, Something tells me the photon gods are pissed.
I've had a 9mm zombied on me at 2.25amps, it ran fine for 2-3 minutes in short runs and when assembled, I was about to put the lens in and checked the raw output for one last time and poof, little bit of smoke from the diode and there goes the lines, a large donut is formed, later that is reduced to a feeble glow.

I never ran a 9mm more than 2.1Amp after that. my 3.3W (2.5Amps) also zombied but after a good 6 months of abuse.So it comes with the package.

Going to try and restart this host build. I intended on completing it and it just doesn't seem right that I leave people hanging. :undecided:
While the diode was alive and well the host really seemed to do it's job well.
I'd opt for 1 minute max on and 3-5 minutes off duty cycle.

It's been a VERY frustrating week... and now this. :mad: :cryyy:

Last edited:

IWIRE

That is great news ! Glad your sticking with it ! I spent all winter working on a build. Just to have it destroyed by vibration. I had to step away and 're-group.
In the words of Yoda : "Do or do not, there is no try." :)

That is great news ! Glad your sticking with it ! I spent all winter working on a build. Just to have it destroyed by vibration. I had to step away and 're-group.
In the words of Yoda : "Do or do not, there is no try." :)

That old Buddhist saying. Do, or do not there is no try. it's one or the other. Either commit yourself or don't. Very wise words. I'm committed to photons.
btw, my switches from Illumination supply arrived yesterday. They'll require a collar adapter to get them to work in my host. hmmm..thinking. Also ordered a new diode+driver + lens set from DTR. My driver from the last host works fine, but the diode died a early death. I'm now almost certain this could have been due to an incomplete thermal transfer due air gap I found when taking the host apart. There seems to have been airgap formed when tightening up the two lock nuts. this pushed the diode to one side and made for an incomplete thermal transfer. That's my theory.
Now that I've seen a death, I'm going to make make double sure that the host has an even contact wit the copper host and the Arctic silver 5 TIM paste.

Pics of the switches coming soon :whistle:

Last edited:

IWIRE

In most cases heat is our enemy. I think that more emphasis should be devoted
to the heatsinking of laser drivers. I like the way "sinner" uses a half moon copper
piece to heat sink his drivers to the hosts in some of his builds.
Sinner has it going on!!!!

linked

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/cypreus-edc-build-thread-m140-x-boost-1-4a-89141.html

I think your right. I like the build where the guy used a finned heatsink and a fan to displace the heat. Instead of just heat soaking the heatsink he is moving the heat .

I think your right. I like the build where the guy used a finned heatsink and a fan to displace the heat. Instead of just heat soaking the heatsink he is moving the heat .

I never liked fans that much. :>(
Mainly be cause they become a maintenance headache and will attract dust and
dirt like a magnet. That being said, it is a good way to remove excess heat with a good
radiator. May be the only choice when a lot of heat is generated in a small space .
Good examples are CPU/heatsink/fan that we all use in our computers. Love or hate
them, they work fine but I spend alot of money buying cans of Ultra Duster to clean out
the dust.

IWIRE

I don't really like the fans either. The simpler the better. I have a crazy looking host coming that I'm going to try a fan in though. Your right about the dust issue. I install fans in control cabinets that operate in adverse conditions sometimes. I'm going to incorporate a simple foam filter in the air intake. The intake will be the tail cap. I like to tinker with stuff :)

Just got my second laser driver and diode from DTR today at 4pm.
I'm heading to the east coast ( YangYang/Gangneung-shi) over the weekend with the wife to cool off.
It's been a VERY stressful week and the temps tomorrow warrant going somewhere cooler.
Also I want to get out of Seoul. Tired of Seoul's never ending supply of monotony....
To Gangwon-do We go, hi-ho hi-ho.....

Expect a follow up with pics shortly.

Last edited:

IWIRE

That's cool ! Have a great time ! Be looking forward to your build.

Just got my second laser driver and diode from DTR today at 4pm.
I'm heading to the east coast ( YangYang/Gangneung-shi) over the weekend with the wife to cool off.
It's been a VERY stressful week and the temps tomorrow warrant going somewhere cooler.
Also I want to get out of Seoul. Tired of Seoul's never ending supply of monotony....
To Gangwon-do We go, hi-ho hi-ho.....

Expect a follow up with pics shortly.

Happy Holiday and chillout with your fav bev. Too much stress is a bad thing for the body and mind.
Unwind and depressurize, getting away for a while seem to be a good thing. Works for me.

Have fun.

PEACE