Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Sinner Cyperus II XL 2x18650

Well, I will be getting pics out soon of the re-built laser. So far I've got everything the way I want it. I've re-organized the wiring and built a mini heat sink out of copper foil to sit on top of the AMC (driver) chip. There is a tiny piece of non-conductive 3M TIM tape on top to secure the copper foil.

At this point everything except the top focussing ring on. Focussing ring needs a vice to adjust the angle so that it's flush. Currently it's in on a wee bit of an angle.

Now to turn it on for it's first (re-light) light.

wish me well.

:wave:

Last edited:

Woa.... something odd just occurred I measured the output and only got 2.75W pk... heh...

:thinking:

I just checked the output and I've got an artifact a strange roundish secondary output. Move the host around and giving it a tap with my finger causes the output to correct into a standard multimode output.
I can confirm that the focussing lens is completely clean.

Disaster strikes a second time. :(

Update

Upon further inspection of my brand new never used diode, I noticed that my diode has lost it's aperture window. It's completely intact but it appears to have fallen inside the diode itself. How is that even possible?
Completely speechless at this point. The diode is toast a second time.

I am shelving this project for good now.

Good riddens. I've got no more time to waste.

Quite annoyed...

Attachments

• DSC00950.JPG
    DSC00950.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00949.jpg
    DSC00949.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00946.jpg
    DSC00946.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have recently, today had another close examination of the output of the laser diode. It's remarkably still lasing... so it's not completely dead. If you look at the previous post you'll notice the output. It's maybe 20mW at best.... (actually about 40mW on the LPM. )

Someone chime in as to what you think occurred here.. There is a completely squarish piece (tinted greenish) (the aperture window) moving around inside the diode as we speak. tapping it causes the output to suddenly jump into high gear.

The window appears completely in tact.

Weird...

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I need some help with this..

IWIRE

Wow. Uh, "Paging Dr. DTR to the host thread. Code red. Stat."
I've heard of that before but personally have never experienced it. Maybe the diode can be de-canned and still used ?

Wow. Uh, "Paging Dr. DTR to the host thread. Code red. Stat."
I've heard of that before but personally have never experienced it. Maybe the diode can be de-canned and still used ?

heh, doubtful... I think Oxygen has done it in now.
finally as I speak the output has diminished into a tiny blue-green speck.... Very strange occurrence. Frustrating as all hell. :mad:
:wtf:

I meeting up with RyanSoh3 tomorrow in the afternoon and he's ordered a few for doing a bunch of builds.
:thinking:

IWIRE

Oxygen ? Really ? Are diodes hermetically sealed and charged with nitrogen or something ? As you can tell I don't know much about diodes. I do good just to find a spec sheet on them. Hook them to my PS, lpm them and set my driver to what I want. Hopefully without letting the smoke out of anything.

Oxygen ? Really ? Are diodes hermetically sealed and charged with nitrogen or something ? As you can tell I don't know much about diodes. I do good just to find a spec sheet on them. Hook them to my PS, lpm them and set my driver to what I want. Hopefully without letting the smoke out of anything.

Not when the front aperture window falls into the diode cavity...
This diode is completely exposed to air, and it has since LED'd.

Today I met up with RyanSoh3, and I bought 2 9mm diodes from him... I have a fully working laser now. details coming very shortly. :beer::beer::beer:

I finished at 12:25am. You can see I want this laser to get done ... :D

IWIRE

Cool ! This thing has put up a fight the whole way. You won ! Congratulations ! :beer:

upaa27

Very nice host. Looks like you could modify it to get a dual diode build!

Well I will have some more pics of it running soon,
In the mean time I will post my first light photos here.

These are nothing spectacular but I just posting to show that the build is up and running.

Final measurement 3458.38mW pk... normally gives 3.31Wpk after warmup with ~3.13W continuous dipping to ~3.0W after 1 minute.

You'll notice that I have not used the copper focussing ring, this is because I still need to modify it to get it to accept aluminum the focussing knob.

Very nice host. Looks like you could modify it to get a dual diode build!

Nope, this is a single diode build only.

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited: