Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Portable Stage Lights

This is a long page with at least 35 images on it; dial-up users please allow for plenty of load time.
You have no chance to survive make your time.
wink.gif

Portable Stage Lights, retail $69.90 (http://www.alibaba.com...)
Manufactured by Shenzhen Baoan Guanlan Libao Electronics Factory (http://libaolaser.en.alibaba.com)
Last updated 11-02-11

psl1.jpg
what.gif

Now this is a fairly interesting product...it combines a blue LED light (3 ea. 5mm blue LEDs), a red directly injected diode laser (advertised wavelength 660nm; spectrographically measured at 659.70nm), and a green DPSS laser with both lasers behind a rotating holographic "starfield" generator to create a dynamic, ever-changing pattern of red & green spots and a blue "spotlight"-type of effect (which can be turned off if desired) against any light-colored surface.

Although it is designed to be used on a stage, it can be placed just about anywhere that a neat moving starfield effect is wanted.

psl2.jpg
SIZE

using.gif

As with any rechargeable product, charge it first (see directly below), and THEN you can light up your stage sets like parts of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
wink.gif

To activate it, look on the left side of the unit for a small black slide switch. Slide it toward the rear of the unit to the "ON" position.

On the upper surface of the unit you'll see two silvery-colored buttons and a small ribbed wheel.

Press & release the leftmost button to turn the blue LEDs on. Perform the same action to turn them off.

Press & release the rightmost button to turn the lasers on. Perform the same action to turn them off.

When the lasers are first activated, both red & green will be displayed simultaneously (at the same time) for ten seconds, then the green laser will turn off. The red laser only will then operate for ten seconds. Then the red laser will turn off and the green laser will come on for another ten seconds. The red & green lasers will continue to alternate like this until the unit is powered down.

The 10 seconds value was measured using a clock with a second hand on it.

To change the speed at which the "stars" move, turn the ribbed wheel in the center (located directly between the two buttons). Clockwise (as though tightening) speeds them up; counterclockwise (as though loosening) slows them down -- it even allows the "stars" to be stopped or frozen if you happen to really like a particular display.

When you're finished using this product, slide the little black slide switch on the left side of the product forward to the "OFF" position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This product comes with a miniature tripod.

To affix the tripod to the Portable Stage Lights unit, look on the bottom of the unit itself for a female threaded receptacle, and screw the male threaded screw of the tripod itself into this opening. A ribbed wheel on this screw can then be tightened; securing the Portable Stage Lights and the tripod together.

You then unfold the tripod's legs so that it stands up properly and stably.

The tripod has a motion range of 360° in the X-axis (horizontally) and ~240° in the Y-axis (vertically). Both axes can be locked into position with a small thumbscrew.

The tripod is equipped with a standard ¼" 20 threads-per-inch male screw; this means that you can affix the Portable Stage Lights unit to most any standard tripod; so if the one furnished is too small or something, no problem.

change.gif

To charge the battery in the Portable Stage Lights, there are two ways (both of them involve using the same cord).

Plug the small end of the included charging cord intro the female receptacle for it on the left hand side of the unit's body just to the right of the power switch. This connector is shaped to fit only one way, so that there is a 0% chance of inserting it incorrectly.

Plug the larger end into either any free USB port on your desktop or laptop computer (that's one), OR into the matching receptacle for it on the included "wall wart"-type charger (and that's two). Plug this charger into any standard (in north America anyway) two- or three-slot 110 volts to 130 volts AC household receptacle (or "wall outlet" or even "wall socket" if you prefer). This charger is designed to operate from voltages ranging from 100 volts to 240 volts AC 50Hz or 60Hz source, so European users can simply find a plug adapter and use it without messy transformers.

When the unit is charging, an LED recessed into a hosel for it directly under the "LED" button will glow red, and then change to yellow-green when the charge cycle is complete.

At this point, you may disconnect the cable and unplug the charger if you used that in leiu of the USB charging capability.

psl10.gif

Battery discharge analysis: LEDs + lasers with motor at maximum speed.
Runtime 3:42.
This is until the green laser had mainly extinguished.

psl11.gif

Battery discharge analysis: LEDs + lasers with motor deactivated.
Runtime 4:12.
This is until the green laser had mainly extinguished.

psl15.gif

A second battery discharge analysis with LEDs + lasers on and with the motor at maximum speed.
Runtime 4:00.
This is until total product extinction (no lasers or LEDs).

psl16.gif

A second battery discharge analysis with LEDs + lasers on and with the motor deactivated.
Runtime 4:12.
Again, this is until total product extinction (no lasers or LEDs).

Those "dips" you see in these charts are because the green laser uses far more current than the red one; therefore, the LEDs dim more and you see a "dip" in the chart when the measurement was taken while the green laser was on. Since the measurements are totally automated and occur at a fixed interval (exactly every 360 seconds {six minutes} in this case), the dips & peaks appear to be fairly evenly spaced here.

punish.gif

This is a self-contained laser light show, and not a flashlight meant to be carried around, thrashed, trashed, and abused - so I won't thrash it like I might thrash a flashlight in the name of science.

So this section of the post will be ***SIGNIFICANTLY*** more bare than this section of the post on a posted evaluation of a flashlight.

Having said that I won't open up a can of Whoop Ass
wink.gif
on this light, I really find myself liking it!
The only thing that pisses me off even a little is that you can't have the red & green lasers going simultaneously (at the same time) -- that power-on segment of 10 seconds with both lasers on is kind of a tease in that regard.

psl3.jpg

Beam photograph (LEDs only) on the test target at 12".
Measures 2,070mcd on an Amprobe LM631A light meter.

This is a fairly wide-angle light source, and if I've told you once, I've told you 1,053,000 times:
Wider viewing angles always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS equal lower mcd values!!!

psl4.jpg

Beam photograph (red & green lasers) on the test target at 12".

psl9.jpg

Beam photograph (LEDs + red & green lasers) on the test target at 12".
That dark shadow at the lower right is the shade of a desk lamp; it is not a defect in the projector itself.

psl5.jpg

Beam photograph (LEDs + red laser) on the test target at 12".

psl6.jpg

Beam photograph (red laser only) on the test target at 12".
Measures 23.1477mW* on a Sper Scientific Pocket Laser Power Meter # 840011.

psl7.jpg

Beam photograph (LEDs + green laser) on the test target at 12".

psl8.jpg

Beam photograph (green laser only) on the test target at 12".
Measures 6.765mW* on a Sper Scientific Pocket Laser Power Meter # 840011.

psl10.jpg

Photograph of the unit mounted to a "standard" tripod (a Manfrotto #390 Tripod in this case).

psl1.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the red laser in this light.

psl2.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the red laser in this light; spectrometer's response narrowed to a range of 655nm to 675nm to pinpoint wavelength; which appears to be 659.70nm.

psl3.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the green laser in this light.

psl4.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the green laser in this light; spectrometer's response narrowed to a band between 800nm and 820nm to pinpoint NIR laser line from pump diode -- which -- as you can see -- is completely filtered out. Yes, this is a very good thing -- you wouldn't want that stuff in your green beam!

psl10.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the green laser in this light; spectrometer's response narrowed to a band between 800nm and 820nm to pinpoint NIR laser line from pump diode. I had to seriously overload the spectrometer's inputs to find even this.

psl11.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the green laser in this light; spectrometer's response widened to a band between 380nm and 820nm to show how much I had to overload the instrument to detect the 808nm laser line. See that broadband "emission" from ~550nm down to 380nm? That is caused by my overloading the input in effort to find that very tiny 808nm emission; the blue arrow points to the 808nm NIR emission from the pump diode.
So to put it briefly; the IR filter in this product is doing a SUPERB job!!!

psl5.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the blue LEDs in this light.

psl7.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the red "Charge cycle in progress" die of the bicolor LED in this light.

psl8.gif

Spectrographic analysis of both the red & yellow-green dice of the bicolor LED in this light; indicating that the charge cycle is nearing completion.

psl6.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the yellow-green "Charge cycle complete" die of the bicolor LED in this light.

USB2000 spectrometer graciously donated by P.L.

psl9.gif

Beam cross-sectional analysis (blue lights only).
Image made using the ProMetric System by Radiant Imaging.

Video on YourTube showing the unit in operation (all modes plus various speeds).

This clip is approximately 53.222154357865 megabytes (53,419,484 bytes) in length; dial-up users please be aware.
It will take no less than one two hundred sixty six (!) minutes to load at 48.0Kbps.

TEST NOTES:
Test unit was purchased on Ebay on 10-20-10 (or "20 Oct 2010" if you prefer) and was received at 4:18pm PDT on 10-29-10 (or "29 Oct 2010").

* These measurements are ***NOT*** accurate because the laser emitting area is larger than the active surface area of the sensor in my laser power meter!!!
This product is advertised to have a total laser output power of 110mW {80mW red and 30mW green}.

The AC charger is labelled to have an output of +5.20 volts at 500mA.

UPDATE: 11-01-10
I had this product deployed on the front porch on Halloween evening, directed (aimed) at the front door.
I believe it contributed rather greatly to almost every Trick Or Treater and his/her parent complimenting me on the porch decoration; some of the older children even remarked that ours was "the coolest house I ever saw!!!"
rainbow.gif

UPDATE: 11-26-10
I have performed multiple battery discharge analyses of this product; please see the charts farther up this post.

UPDATE: 11-02-11
I once again deployed this product at our Halloween decorations (a number of pumpkins and a scarecrow; enhanced with the LED Spider Light, and the Mini Strobe) -- and just about every Trick Or Treater (or their parents) commented in a positive fashion about it except for one: a little girl who thought that the moving dots were "bugs".
All in all, I'd say that this product got a bang-up rating from pretty much all who saw it!!!

PROS:
Neat moving "starfield" effect
Small and compact
Uses an internal rechargeable battery, not disposable cells
Can be charged from AC or from many computers
Blue LEDS can easily be deactivated if desired

CONS:
Laser display cannot be set so that both red & green are displayed simultaneously -- that's what nocked that last ½ star from its rating

fire.gif

MANUFACTURER: Shenzhen Baoan Guanlan Libao Electronics Factory
PRODUCT TYPE: Portable rechargeable stage lighting unit
LAMP TYPE: LED, directly-injected red diode laser, DPSS green laser
No. OF LAMPS: 5 (3 5mm blue LEDs, 1 red laser, 1 green laser)
BEAM TYPE: Medium flood (starfield plus LEDs)
SWITCH TYPE: Slide on/off; pushbutton on/off for LEDs and lasers
CASE MATERIAL: Plastic
BEZEL: Soft plastic; LEDs & lasers recessed into shallow hosels for them
BATTERY: Internal rechargeable; voltage, capacity, and chemistry not known
CURRENT CONSUMPTION: Unknown/unable to measure
WATER- AND KENTUCKY BOURBON-RESISTANT: Very light splatter-resistance at maximum
SUBMERSIBLE: FOR GOD SAKES NOOOOO!!!
roll2.gif

ACCESSORIES: Tripod, "wall wart" charger, USB charging cord
SIZE: 130mm L x 92mm W x 52mm H
WEIGHT: 0.220Kg
COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: China
WARRANTY: Unknown/not stated

PRODUCT RATING:

st4.gif
st4half.gif

fire.gif

Update 11-02-11: Added an update re: successful Halloween evening deployment of this product.

Last edited:

Laser display cannot be set so that both red & green are displayed simultaneously
but you have a image that shows both red and green on the wall?

Plus does it has lockable patterns that react on sounds? (i dont mean strobe)

but you have a image that shows both red and green on the wall?

Plus does it has lockable patterns that react on sounds? (i dont mean strobe)

I already have that image:
psl4.jpg

But I did take another one showing all three light sources on simultaneously...snap...click...and it's off to the Fotomat we go:

psl9.jpg

That dark shadow at the lower right is the shade of a desk lamp; it is not a defect in the projector itself.

This will be added to my O.P. tomorrow morning; as I had erroneously stated that the first of the two photographs above was red & green lasers PLUS blue LEDs, when in fact it is only of the red & green lasers but no LEDs.

And in answer to your second query...yes and no.
Yes in that it has lockable patterns that stay the same even after the unit is switched off, but no, this product is not audio sensitive in any manner. Not no way, not no how as they say.

Merged 5 sequential "bump" posts

i ment the quote from where i understand that the green and red laser cant be turned on during desame time.
But still i see a photo of green+red together...

You must have been referring to the part that reads "The only thing that pisses me off even a little..." -- the red and green lasers do TURN ON simultaneously and stay on together for the first ten seconds, but then they never stay that way again -- they alternate between red & green only with no apparent way to have them on together.

Best guess here is that this is part of a resident diagnostic program that runs only once every time the lasers are activated either via the ON/OFF switch or the "LASERS" button on the upper surface of the product.

BTTT: Added info. about the tripod and added another photograph.

BTTT: Added two more spectrographic anayses.

BTTT: Added two battery discharge analyses.

BTTT: Added two more battery discharge analyses (total = 4).

Last edited by a moderator: