Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the 25mW 780nm Adjustable Focus Diode Laser Module

This is a long post with at least 20 images on it; dial-up users please allow for plenty of load time.

25mW 780nm Adjustable Focus Diode Laser Module, retail $8.00 (http://AixiZ.com...)
Manufactured by (Unknown)
Last updated 03-02-11

780-2-1.jpg

what.gif

This is a diode laser module that has a power output of 25mW CW (continuous wave), and is advertised to have a peak wavelength of 780nm (the ones I got have a peak wavelength of 785.45nm as measured spectrographically; this is *WELL* within spec!).

It comes in a metal body, and the focus is easily adjustable without tools from a tightly focused pinpoint to a narrow-medium spot.

780-2-2.jpg
SIZE

using.gif

To power up this module:

1: Connect it to any source of 3.2 volts DC that can sink at least 0.25A (250mA).
2: Red wire is (+) positive, black wire is (-) negative.
3: If you wish to have an on/off switch, you'll have to procure it elsewhere and connect it between one of the power supply terminals and the laser's matching power supply wire.

This laser module has a focusable beam.
To change the focus, turn the black ring at the end of the bezel (the laser's "business-end") to achieve the desired beam width. If you unscrew it too far, it will fall off - and if you aren't paying attention, a spring could shoot out as well. If it does shoot out (and you indeed notice this!), just place the spring back into the laser's barrel, and screw the lens assembly back on at least two full turns from the time it "catches".

Current usage measures 64.0mA when powering it from an Aixiz Diode Laser PSU.
This measurement was taken on my DMM's 400mA scale to help minimise shunt resistance error.

780-2-3.jpg

Beam photograph on the test target at 12".
The orangish color does not actually exist; the beam spot appears a very dull, dim cherry red to the unaided eye.

Power output of the first one measures 25.1193mW on a
Sper Scientific Pocket Laser Power Meter # 840011.
For a laser sold as a 25mW unit, this is basically spot on!!!

Power output of the second unit measures 138.70µw (0.1387mW) on the same instrument. Better run it through the spectrometer again and see what's going on here!!!

780-2-1.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser module (the first one of the replacements*).

780-2-2.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser module (the first one of the replacements*); spectrometer's response narrowed to a range of 780nm to 790nm.
As you can see, this laser's peak output is at 785.45nm.

780-2-5.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser module (the second one of the replacements*).

780-2-6.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser module (the second one of the replacements*); spectrometer's response narrowed to a range of 780nm to 790nm.
As you can see, this laser's peak output is at 785.45nm -- same as the first!.

780-2-7.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser module (the second one of the replacements*) AFTER it went to pot shortly after the last series of spectrographic analyses were performed on it.

780-1.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the defective first laser.

780-2.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the defective first laser; spectrometer's response narrowed to a range between 670nm and 830nm.

USB2000 spectrometer graciously donated by P.L.

780-2-3.gif

Beam cross-sectional analysis (X-axis).

780-2-4.gif

Beam cross-sectional analysis (Y-axis).

Images made using the ProMetric System by Radiant Imaging.

TEST NOTES:
Test unit was purchased on Ebay on 02-17-11 (or "17 Feb 2011" if you prefer) and was received at 4:09pm PST on 02-19-11 (or "19 Feb 2011").

* The first unit was defective, so AixiZ sent another one (well, *TWO* actually!!!) posthaste, which were received at 4:08pm PST on 02-28-11 (or "28 Feb 2011").
Now THAT'S what I call customer service!!!

UPDATE: 00-00-00

PROS:
Focusable from fine spot to narrow (directional) flood
Relatively low power consumption

CONS:
Failure may be an issue -- I've had two of these modules bite the big one...that's what nocked the most off their rating

fire.gif

MANUFACTURER: Unknown
PRODUCT TYPE: Diode laser module
LAMP TYPE: Diode laser
No. OF LAMPS: 1
BEAM TYPE: Adjustable from pinpoint to narrow-medium spot
SWITCH TYPE: N/A
CASE MATERIAL: Metal & plastic
BEZEL: Metal; laser diode recessed inside
BATTERY: N/A
CURRENT CONSUMPTION: 64.0mA at 3.20 volts
WATER- AND PEE-RESISTANT: No
SUBMERSIBLE: NO WAY HOZAY!!!
roll2.gif

ACCESSORIES: None
WARRANTY: Unknown/not stated

PRODUCT RATING:

st3.gif

fire.gif

Last edited:

madog

Wow, you are valuable resource to the community! Could you give me a guesstimate on how many reviews you have posted here?

Wow, you are valuable resource to the community! Could you give me a guesstimate on how many reviews you have posted here?

Thank you!!! :D
A cursory search has revealed that I've posted 31 reviews so far -- more to come of course. :)

Thank you for your reviews with the Spectrograph analysis, it's nice to see your "tiny" LPM you got. At least you have the mW in this review :beer:

I can;t wait until you buy a real LPM! That will be nice.

I thought you were going remove the nonsense out of your reviews????? Oh well I guess I got excited for nothing.:mad:

The Nonsense is only annoying. Thanks for your hard work. I hope this review isn't censored to make the product look better than it is (buy the company selling it) like some of your other reviews.....

I thought you were going remove the nonsense out of your reviews????? Oh well I guess I got excited for nothing.:mad:

The Nonsense is only annoying. Thanks for your hard work. I hope this review isn't censored to make the product look better than it is (buy the company selling it) like some of your other reviews.....

I just removed the text that you consider "nonsense"; though it will take awhile to "clean up" all of my reviews in this manner.

Why would you even want a 780 nm laser at such a low power? What could be the use of this bad boy?

This is definitely not the laser for you if you want to burn holes in a hairbrush or something...but some laserists do prefer the lower power output at wavelengths that are just barely perceptible. :)
Why? Now that is a query that I am not equipped (or even able) to answer.

Outstanding LED, great review & great coverage. I was happy to read through everything tonight without any previously mentioned 'unnecessaries' from once before. Once again I must say your information is above & beyond. +1 for you :beer: