Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of 18 lasers from blab1391 --( at LPF 'KingKube' / Alan)

You cannot trust the cheapest 532nm lasers as I have two that do multiple lines. One has four lines and the other has six. They are spaced about 4nm apart. That being the case, it is possible to get one that lases on a different line than 532.14nm. I would use a more expensive laser to use as 532nm. I have one that does 1350 mW that is spot on.

It is true that the main line is 532.14nm, so lasers like this tend to lase close to that line. But, it isn't something you can depend on.

BTW, I got that 650nm laser and it measures 211 mW. It states on the label <200 mW, but that is obviously not the case with mine. Not too shabby for $10.00.

Also, there have been many threads over the years showing how to measure wavelengths with a diffraction grating. Before I got my first spectrometer, I bought a 1000 l/mm piece of transmission grating about 12 inches by 8 inches. I used to cut pieces off of it to measure wavelengths. But, to get the most accurate measurement you need to use a tape measure and set it up to be about at least 15 feet away from the surface you will be measuring the 1st order maxima on.

Thanks Paul! I am glad the 650 worked out for you! When I decide to do the measuring I will try a number of my 532nm lasers. At this point, I have about six or seven of them. I hope that is enough!!!

For comedy's sake I should add that a couple of my 532nm lasers were very expensive. One which is 8mw cost 900 dollars back in the
days when they were exotic. I remember when 532 nm 5mw pens were 250++. The new stuff is much better...but all of my old stuff is properly filtered for IR. Unlike the ebay specials of today.

Lots of great info...
sry for the long delay on the review.
since I started the thread I got 5 more lasers from Alan (KingKube)
two are 445 /500 1) TTL the other 2) alanlog.. < has a nice heatsink under the driver BUT no xtra cooling on the laser.
I 'challanged' Alan to find these 13mm 532 modules... 'goldy' have them on sale for ~$16-- MUST meter TODAY.
claims of 400mW may be an exaggeration..
Alan FOUND THEM--
Alan has been so very kind sending me samples.. at that price ($16) I would NOT be unhappy if they were only 200mW... they come with line generators- easy to remove and get the 'dot' back-- one heat sink that fits for sure in made by same maker and $8(ouch).
He got very few to start out--iirc he had only 3 left modules .. his price is the lowest I have seen on these..~$15.. If I were you I would grab one of these. He ships free and fast!!
BUT they were not designed for any kind of rough handling.. the wires are not extremely well soldered and it takes very little to break one off.
my black wire came off and to test I tried the dumba55 test--it flashed.. then died when my lead brushed up against and shorted something out..
I am wondering if the driver could be replaced.
Rich is enlarging some round finned AixiZ $4 heat sinks to fit 13 mm and 14mm (<one of the sizes of common pen-pointers)

I noted that these laser 6 pointers from Alan were lighter, shorter and smaller diameter than the first RGV trio-
no doubt he found cheaper supply.
Lastly I asked about fat beam modules.. do they sell them where he is.. BAM he found them (next day)and has 3 reds in transit for me to test and review... I felt these would be liked by Lew/Bruce & Radium (et al) for a changed look in their AWESOME pics..

One item he was NOT able to get at discount--same price as lowest ebay (or more)
This is a dc motor ... reversable.. hi torque--small (80mm long- x 32mm) and the choice of many including the somewhat famous 'dave'

he owns a laser show company--rents out LOTS of gear- and has a side biz with gear/parts FS-- everybody 'over there' gets thier 12x30 mounts (made better than AixiZ) from LSP (Laser Show Parts)--swell brass mounts for dichros/turning FSMs and cubes. He does have a very few items at freakbay-- under the name of 'aijii' & works from Aus, (melbourne) he holds the current record for longest GB-- from the 'feeler' to 'last one shipped today' was a few YEARS-- some of that wait due to it being a custom make of PBS cubes able to handle dual or quad 44 builds ...so a bunch of expert testing w/ a very few samples--he needed enough prepays to order the min of 100 pcs--only a very few left at Ebay(aijii)--$50 usd free$hip.
I have kinda given up on my urging of dave to sell us some of his last Lumia ($100) & starburst kits (DMX) ($200). too busy ATM--so Gadget and myself are going to make and offer just a few.. I cannot now, use any of dave's excellent pics to show what we are hoping to make(very bad form) I deleted them from my other post. He has them and more at the other forum.

I learned from Alan that sellers/shippers of smaller-lighter items going to the USA are done so w/o any shipping cost-----so those that DO charge for shipping are not really using that entirely for the shipping afaik. SO while some LIKE BIG combined orders elsewhere--My guess is.... China sellers would rather ship more times..(its cheaper) after a certain size and weight.
hak (still playing 'catch-up' on my work here..) please understand.. TY

Thanks Paul! I am glad the 650 worked out for you! When I decide to do the measuring I will try a number of my 532nm lasers. At this point, I have about six or seven of them. I hope that is enough!!!

For comedy's sake I should add that a couple of my 532nm lasers were very expensive. One which is 8mw cost 900 dollars back in the
days when they were exotic. I remember when 532 nm 5mw pens were 250++. The new stuff is much better...but all of my old stuff is properly filtered for IR. Unlike the ebay specials of today.

If you live in the US, I will send you a large piece of my 1000 l/mm transmission grating. Just PM me with your address and it will come in an envelope. Probably about 3 inches by four inches. You can set it up as is or cut it down to smaller sizes. The important thing is to make sure it is perpendicular to your beam and you measure the length to the wall from your grating.

I actually was J/K.
so awesome bro..
PM coming
BTW -- as I am so much better taking stuffs apart than building--I have opened a bunch of cellfones and cordless ones..there are diff grates in many.. best part--they are free.
flat TVs have some usable parts in the screen.
I searched last night to find the 'good kind' of grates. NOT the flimsy plastic like trip glasses or fireworks glasses--rainbow is another name-- & I do not think any/many would really be worth buying- & the best are very spendy..

We want to also make the Straburst Kit like 'dave' uses..(search starburst kit & Lumia kit at Pleee to see his pics)
ATM he is on tour and his busiest time of the year so no reply like I wanted & so Kev & I are going to shamelessly copy his ideas and I would not feel right posting his pics of his version.
So I did a bit of deleting.. dave is in Oz and shipping costs to USA are much more 'down under'
I am sure we can make (at least the Lumia) and offer same as dave ($100 for Lumia--$200 for Starburst (DMX control)..BUT w/ free$hipping to CONUS..

Hey, Len. I got cistercian's address, but not yours. I am planning on mailing out his grating tomorrow. PM me if you would like yours to go out at the same time. ;)