Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review:Glow In The Dark Powder&Picture

Hello ! i would like to share with you some picture with glow in the dark powder from
http://www.readysetglo.com/Oil_based_Glowpowder.asp
First, you have to know that the market are oversatured with glow in the dark Paint/Powder seller, i choose this one because i wanted to see with some costless sample of different phosphorescent powder, which color is the best to use with our laser. I appreciated this info from the seller in his FAQ :

"There are two basic glow-in-the-dark (GID) materials. The older style that has been around for many years is Zinc Sulphide with Copper as an activator (those stars for kids rooms) and THE NEXT GENERATION Strontium Aluminate that READY SET GLO Sells. The afterglow is about 10 times longer than conventional pigments and about 10 times brighter. The excitation wavelength is very broad 200-450nm. We only carry the new powder. FYI - the new powder is 10X more expensive! "

wiki: Strontium aluminate phosphors produce green and aqua hues, where green gives the highest brightness and aqua the longest glow time. The excitation wavelengths for strontium aluminate range from 200 to 450 nm. The wavelength for its green formulation is 520nm, its blue-green version emits at 505nm, and the blue one emits at 490nm. Colors with longer wavelengths can be obtained from the strontium aluminate as well, though for the price of some loss of brightness.

So i thought that a 405 nm laser will do a nice effect on this powder  :)
I bought the Package # 2 : 1 oz each of the 6 Colors (G,A,B,R,O,V) for 39$ which is a good price to begin in glow powder.
Here is some picture of the set :
dscf3386.jpg

From left to right : Green, Aqua, Blue, Violet , and above : orange and red.
Blue powder is withe, as green and aqua and violet, in daylight
Here is some picture in dark room of a 405 nm laser interacting with these powder (i shine the laser very shortly from left to right)
dscf3381.jpg

The red and orange powder are not (just a little less) as bright as Blue, green and aqua :
dscf3383.jpg

Under 405 nm light, orange powder is brighter (a little more) than red powder.
dscf3385.jpg

Left is orange powder, right red. In daylight, red powder is a light red, and orange powder a light...orange.
But these 2 powder have an INCREDIBLE property that the other powder don't have : they react under 532 nm ! i think it's the same powder used in the (now) expensive "green laser target".
551g.jpg

See below the powder exposed to a 532 nm light (the previous light at 405 nm is still phosphorescent)
dscf3382.jpg

The Blue,Aqua, and green, and violet, don't react, the energy from 532 is too weak. The orange and red powder show the same brightness with 532 nm : (left is Orange and right, red)
dscf3384.jpg

Here is a picture of the powder with 405 nm (instant picture):
dscf3387.jpg

The violet powder in extreme right need a lot more energy than 405 nm : it phosphoresce just a little, i didn't try with UV led @385 nm
Here is a picture of the powder irradiated at 405 nm 30 minute ago :
dscf3377.jpg

These powder phosphoresce for a long time.
In conclusion, i will say that the possibility with these powder are endless (just to see some work from customer of their website), especially with the orange and red powder that react at 532 nm ! a great find.
I have in mind a wall covered with these powder, to make giant drawing of color with 405 and 532 laser.
But a big drawback is that glow in the dark powder DON'T dissolve in water or any medium : in water, the powder go at the bottom of the container, and don't mix to form glow water.

edit :
I played most of the night with these powder and i can add few things:
About red and orange powder, they will phosphoresce very rapidly, i mean that when you shine 532 or 405 nm on it, they will emit red light with high brighness only during 30 second; 1 minute after the exposure, the phosphorescent light almost completely dissapeared. But the orange powder phosphoresce a little longer than the red powder. These powder, which seems to be "bad" compared with the others, are in fact precious because the phosphorescence don't stay longer, it's a sort of long fluorescence so these powder can be used in "instant drawing" for several project.

Theodore gray http://theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/038/index.html received a set from ready set glow and said :
This lovely array of glow-in-the-dark (phosphorescent) powders illustrates the range of colors and the brightness of modern luminous paints. Green and aqua are europium doped strontium aluminate, the brightest of all the modern phosphorescent powders. Blue is a alkali earth silicate, while red and orange are older, noticeably less bright zinc sulfides. (The difference in brightness is so great it was difficult to get a photograph that showed the glowing of the zinc sulfide without overexposing the other colors!) The powder packets are meant to be mixed with paint, nail polish, or whatever, rendering them luminous

The other powder, blue, aqua, violet and green, have a high brighness (except the violet one) during several hour (could't sleep), the time exposure required with a laser is very short. To "irradiate" the whole powder, we can use a laser dot unfocalized.
Concerning the violet one, it require a high time of exposure, but the phosphorescence is still here 2 hours later. The brighness isn't as high as blue, aqua and green, but remenber the eye sensibility to colours (violet powder emit nearly in my mind 420 nm). So this phosphorescent powder is discrete, not a high brighness, but long time of emission with a "dark blue colour"; when i see this colour i'm always thinking about Ceiling constellations that some people do, because these powder contain very small impurity of green powder, and when you shine a blue ray laser on it, the tiny (almost imperceptible) green powder seems to be some star in a dark blue constellation, very ...lovely!

One good project concerning these powder is "the Pink Floyd Prism wall"
project_images_118.gif

Tape-off light colored (white) painted wall to represent Pink Floyd's prism album cover. After taping is complete, use black latex paint to cover wall. Remove tape. Mix Aqua glow powder with varnish 1/2 oz powder to 2-3 teaspoons of varnish and apply triangle and light source. Will need several coats to achevie effect. Repeat procedure with each prism color.

sorry for long story, but i think i'm very satisfied with these little powder  ;)

Kenom

Interesting review and find.  I'm particularly interested in the effect red has when irradiated with 532nm.  There are a TON of glow retailers and I'm particularly interested in finding out the difference between what these guys sell and "curtisium"

Sadly the sellers of curtisium "www.curtisium.com" don't incidate what the chemical make up of thier product is.

Benm

Nice stuff... perhaps it would work when mixed in with wall paint - so you can doodle on the walls using a blu ray ;)

Awesome powders!, You should make a nice thick paint from them and use it to paint an entire wall of your house. Keep in mind that the blue, green, and violet will never react from the green laser no matter what the strength. It is a matter of nanometers not milliwatts. If I am wrong please correct me but this is how I have come to understand this.

I have ordered the complete "sample-kit from here:
http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3
And here:
http://www.glonation.com/Products/GlowPowder/GlowPowder.html

They do work very well, sounds like the same performance as the one listed at the top of the thread. Both of the product-lines from these two-companies seamed to perform exactly the same, although they each claim to be the very best available, which they probably are, but not uniquely so. I would say that you will get the same powders from any one of the many "glow-powder retailers".
BTW, the litte bags of different-colors, (as shown), seams to be the most fun with a 405-laser, least expensive too!

Kenom

I think it would be cool to get a powder kit for powder coating and mix some of these colors in so that it glows multiple colors when you turn out the light.

Take say a gram of each and mix them all together.

Also wanted to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASv9NfZvpg

Kenom said:
I think it would be cool to get a powder kit for powder coating and mix some of these colors in so that it glows multiple colors when you turn out the light.

I think that would work great, maybe use "clear" as a base?

Different colors of glow powder glow for different lengths of time, if you mixed all the powders together it would change colors (Likely from red/white to blue to green) as the shorter lived colors ran out. You would have to properly balance the ratios of each color though, too much green would just overpower all the other colors for the entire time.

Kenom said:

Also wanted to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASv9NfZvpg

That would be awesome, I've always thought of this...maybe painting each wall a different colour. Do they light up rapidly with the sun's light?

Sun's light contain a nice amount of UV wavelenght, i tried and yes the powder phoshoresce well with Sun's light: more exposure equal more brighness, but with few second, the light emitted is no negligeable when u see them in a dark room/
Incandescent lamp work too, but less than sun light, it need more exposure.
A small vid @405 nm (rhaaa i forget to do one at 532):

Attachments

• glow.avi
    3.2 MB · Views: 85

Benm

yobresal said:
Awesome powders!, You should make a nice thick paint from them and use it to paint an entire wall of your house. Keep in mind that the blue, green, and violet will never react from the green laser no matter what the strength. It is a matter of nanometers not milliwatts. If I am wrong please correct me but this is how I have come to understand this.

You are absolutely right on that - the exiciting wavelength must be shorter than the emitted for this to work.

Have you tried a black light? It should work as well if not better than sunlight. Most of them are 370-something nm.

Benm

If you have a true blacklight, the ones using a fluorescent tube, it will work very well because they are usually just under 400 nm.

LED-based black lights are less likely to work well because most leds sold as 'uv' are actually around 400-410, comparable to bluray. I have a 1W UV led (the kind on a star) mounted in a little flashlight here, works very nice.