Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: CNI PGL-III-C 532nm (500mW Nominal)

More beam shots.

Focused
5gs0.jpg

Unfocused
os7o.jpg

Much tighter beam specs when compared to the 445nm
rx6d.jpg

Slow Shutter speed = Light Painting
xpwz.jpg

Last edited:

5 point FDA compliant design.
A bit excessive for my taste, but at least its now legal.

Yet, despite of ALL that safety features. Its missing the one that is the most important.
An aperture shutter.
[/B]

it's pretty important to point out that a key switch and interlock plug does *not* make your laser pointer legal/FDA compliant.

from U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page:

Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?
Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.

21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC1 Class 3R.

Are Class IIIa laser pointers dangerous?
Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R lasers can be dangerous. Class IIIa lasers can cause temporary visual effects such as flash blinding, which could distract or startle the person exposed. The risk of injury is very small when Class IIIa pointers are used responsibly because natural body motion of a person holding the pointer or motion of a person who might be exposed makes it difficult to expose the eyes for a long period of time. People also have a natural aversion to bright lights and are likely to close their eyes and turn their heads if exposed.

What are class IIIb lasers and are they dangerous?
Lasers that emit between 5mW and 500mW output power are in Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B. Class IIIb lasers cannot legally be promoted as laser pointers or demonstration laser products. Product labels and user instructions must describe the hazard classification of the product and its output characteristics.

With any laser product, the potential for injury depends both on the product itself and how the product is used. Higher powered Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B lasers are dangerous and can cause either temporary visual effects or an eye injury.

What is the problem with more powerful Class IIIb lasers being promoted and sold as pointers?
Class IIIb hand-held lasers are too dangerous for use as pointers or amusement articles. Furthermore, promotion of Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B products for pointing or amusement violates FDA requirements and United States law. Manufacturers of such products may be required to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price of violative products distributed in the U.S. These products are also subject to detention and seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when imported.

Irresponsible use of more powerful laser pointers poses a significant risk of injury to the people exposed. Persons who misuse or irresponsibly use lasers are open to personal liability and prosecution.

i'm not suggesting you are or will be irresponsible with it, but i wouldn't be using it with impunity because you think it's legal.

Reactions: ARG
it's pretty important to point out that a key switch and interlock plug does *not* make your laser pointer legal/FDA compliant.

from U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page:

Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?
Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.

21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC1 Class 3R.

Are Class IIIa laser pointers dangerous?
Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R lasers can be dangerous. Class IIIa lasers can cause temporary visual effects such as flash blinding, which could distract or startle the person exposed. The risk of injury is very small when Class IIIa pointers are used responsibly because natural body motion of a person holding the pointer or motion of a person who might be exposed makes it difficult to expose the eyes for a long period of time. People also have a natural aversion to bright lights and are likely to close their eyes and turn their heads if exposed.

What are class IIIb lasers and are they dangerous?
Lasers that emit between 5mW and 500mW output power are in Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B. Class IIIb lasers cannot legally be promoted as laser pointers or demonstration laser products. Product labels and user instructions must describe the hazard classification of the product and its output characteristics.

With any laser product, the potential for injury depends both on the product itself and how the product is used. Higher powered Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B lasers are dangerous and can cause either temporary visual effects or an eye injury.

What is the problem with more powerful Class IIIb lasers being promoted and sold as pointers?
Class IIIb hand-held lasers are too dangerous for use as pointers or amusement articles. Furthermore, promotion of Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B products for pointing or amusement violates FDA requirements and United States law. Manufacturers of such products may be required to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price of violative products distributed in the U.S. These products are also subject to detention and seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when imported.

Irresponsible use of more powerful laser pointers poses a significant risk of injury to the people exposed. Persons who misuse or irresponsibly use lasers are open to personal liability and prosecution.

i'm not suggesting you are or will be irresponsible with it, but i wouldn't be using it with impunity because you think it's legal.

I see.

Say. I got a question.
How do you measure the working distance of the laser?

Last edited:
This just in!

CNI has just offered me to ship the shutter assembly to me at no extra charge!
More news coming soon!

Awesome review! Might consider one. I enjoyed the funny humor in there as well! :yh:

Encap

Do CNI PGL-III-C lasers come with and IR filter installed?

If not do you know how much of the putput is 532nm and how much is IR?

Do CNI PGL-III-C lasers come with and IR filter installed?

If not do you know how much of the putput is 532nm and how much is IR?

In theory it should , and when I screw the focus unit out I can see the IR filter in front of the diode , but i guess I'll check it now.
I got a little IR filter of my own anyway so lets see how does this turn out
Update coming soon

Just did an IR leak check on the module.
The IR Filter used is this one from O-like
808nm,1064nm IR filter [OL-FL] - $3.50 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
With a visible light transmission of 97.5%

This is the one without adding my own IR filter. ( I actually ran the test to 90 sec, but LaserBee's interface isn't showing my later stats . the CSV excel doc does have the data tho, if you want the data , I'll plot it and cap it for ya)
ab3k.png

This one is the one WITH my IR filter.
9aw6.png

Is there any IR leak?
Well I don't know , but after considering the visible light absorbance of the filter , it shouldn't be a concern.
I THINK , I'm not going to swear my life on it tho.
I had to hold the IR filter with my finger against the focus cap . So its REALLY HARD to keep it in place.

IsaacT

It looks like you have a TEC based LPM. It will be difficult to get a good reading due to the response time on it.

It looks like you have a TEC based LPM. It will be difficult to get a good reading due to the response time on it.

yeah , 1 sec response time.
I probably need an OPHIR head for DPSS , but then again , peak output for a fraction of a second doesn't really concern me :D

Update:
It appears the blue button has a habit of being stuck and refusing to be depressed .
Grr.....

This is the real bargain on a CNI group buy.
I often thought 2- 500mw 532's would cost less than an 800mw and likely be in the 600'mw range both overpsec.

Any time now.
Coming in on an overnight flight.
Ohhh... FEDEX , why are you so awesome?
vd4c.jpg

This is the real bargain on a CNI group buy.
I often thought 2- 500mw 532's would cost less than an 800mw and likely be in the 600'mw range both overpsec.

Actually, DJNY hooked me up for this laser.
I was a bit late for the GB , but Phi helped me get an extra seat in the purchase.
Although not as cheap as the official GB price , but still a LOT lower than standalone price

Last edited:
More beam shots.

Focused

Unfocused

Much tighter beam specs when compared to the 445nm

Slow Shutter speed = Light Painting

Enough with the beamshots. All lasers look the same when pointed into the air. If you want to impress everyone with the power of this new toy, then point this laser at distant targets of known distances and stuff like this Laser Pointer Experiment
Then we all can really appreciate the power of this new toy. :)

Last edited:
Any time now.
Coming in on an overnight flight.
Ohhh... FEDEX , why are you so awesome?
vd4c.jpg

Actually, DJNY hooked me up for this laser.
I was a bit late for the GB , but Phi helped me get an extra seat in the purchase.
Although not as cheap as the official GB price , but still a LOT lower than standalone price

Hey EH, you live in a tough neighborhood alright!!!

A good 500mw 532 is very satisfying, anything above a tight beamed 300mw 532 is great!
Whats this about you power on button.? don't lube it
My PGL shutter has to be visually checked because the normal feel of it open leaves part of the shutter door clipping the beam.....just twist a little harder and tada...

Epicham there will be another group buy.....for the money and since you're close( so shipping won't kill) you could get an 800mw for probably less than 405dollars. How can the other companies compete.....I have asked other companies to match price CNI.....Some will ,not openly though.

Hope you get things settled i'm very happy with my CNI laser quirks and all.
I too thought CNI would be..........better than expected. I expected a lot..and got most of it :)

Last edited: