Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Researchers generate terahertz laser with laughing gas

Within the electromagnetic middle ground between microwaves and visible light lies terahertz radiation, and the promise of "T-ray vision."

Terahertz waves have frequencies higher than microwaves and lower than infrared and visible light. Where optical light is blocked by most materials, terahertz waves can pass straight through, similar to microwaves. If they were fashioned into lasers, terahertz waves might enable "T-ray vision," with the ability to see through clothing, book covers, and other thin materials. Such technology could produce crisp, higher-resolution images than microwaves, and be far safer than X-rays.

More @ phys.org >>

newlaseropen.jpg

That was an enjoyable read. Thanks, Tero. It seems they have also used CO and NH3 molecules to get similar results.

Anthony P

The original Masers were ammonia based. I will have to read that article.

tmoney321

This report also caught my eye when browsing the Nov 15 issue, very cool indeed. Also interesting is the collaboration between Harvard, MIT, and the people at Redstone Arsenal - which isnt too far from me in AL.

Have had the paper sitting on my desktop; meant to share but time got the best of me. I attached it for anyone interested!

Attachments

• 856.full.pdf
    442.6 KB · Views: 4
WOW.....NOW I feel like Patrick...on Sponge Bob !!! Thank you for the paper....Need to learn more every day !!
CDBeam

Attachments

• Patrick Starfish.png
    Patrick Starfish.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 1

tmoney321

WOW.....NOW I feel like Patrick...on Sponge Bob !!! Thank you for the paper....Need to learn more every day !!
CDBeam
Right, cant say I didnt reference google a few times myself. The chemistry & mechanics are straightforward, its the quantum stuff that gets you. At least its light on math!

That has a remarkably narrow line width. Far sharper than I thought it would be. Can't say I've ever run into carbonyl sulfide anywhere else.