Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replacement battery questions.

burnedup69

Howdy.

I got the el cheapo "gatlin" style blue laser off Amazon. It came with 4 "+J 16340 1500mAh batteries. (only 2 are used at one time)
It's becoming obvious those batteries are hot garbage and I am looking to replace them with better batteries.

My question is - I see some on Amazon that are 16340 and 2800mAh for a reasonable price ($16 ish) - but I'm worried I might need to match that mAh @ 1500 like the originals. 3.7 volts listed on originals and all the ones I see on Amazon are the same 3.7 v.

I'd like to get 4 so I can use 2 while the other 2 are charging. Should I worry about the mAh difference and *WHAT BRAND* would you put in your laser? Thank you.

burnedup69

@RedCowboy - @Lifetime17 - I appreciate the info but RC knows I'm a super noob and I can't quite decipher his 2 word message. I see lots of 800mAh 16340 batts but I can't find a 1500mAh Efest to save my life. Link maybe? Thank you.

Hi,
16340 batteries will only give you about 850 mAh hours some a re 750 , 700 mAh .your not going to find a 16340 in 1500 mAh . You would meed two to for that. Show some pics of the old batteries you have and maybe we can help.

burnedup69

Hi,
16340 batteries will only give you about 850 mAh hours some a re 750 , 700 mAh .your not going to find a 16340 in 1500 mAh . You would meed two to for that. Show some pics of the old batteries you have and maybe we can help.
Thank you. Pics..... Remember - these are the "crappy" ones that came with the Amazon kit....... but to be fair they did send 4 of them.

Attachments

• bat.jpeg
    bat.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
There no way that these are 1500Mah 16340,s That BS Chinese sales pitch.
The highest is 850, 700 MaH . There is not enough capacity in that small battery to hold all that. Sorry that what I think.
Rich:)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Thank you. Pics..... Remember - these are the "crappy" ones that came with the Amazon kit....... but to be fair they did send 4 of them.
Definitely mislabeled. I think you need to understand a few things about these batteries. Even if your laser requires more than the capacity of the battery that doesn't mean it won't work. It just means it wont last the full hour. mAh means milliamps for an hour. That's what the capacity means. These batteries are capable of handling much more than that but won't last for an hour doing it. Does that help?

burnedup69

Definitely mislabeled. I think you need to understand a few things about these batteries. Even if your laser requires more than the capacity of the battery that doesn't mean it won't work. It just means it wont last the full hour. mAh means milliamps for an hour. That's what the capacity means. These batteries are capable of handling much more than that but won't last for an hour doing it. Does that help?
Ummm..... yeah I think so. (??) Essentially my problem with the batteries in the photo I posted is that after just a few uses and recharges - the "beam" of the laser is obviously getting weaker and weaker with each use. - I don't use my laser for 10 minutes at a time or anything.

I just knew by instinct that it was time for me to order some "real" high quality 16340's to replace the crappy ones and I wasn't sure which brand was good / and then on top of that the mis-labeling of the crappy ones saying 1500mAh was throwing me off because I couldn't find any rated like that. (Now I know why > misleading wrapping)

So, bottom line, if it was *YOU* that wanted to order 2 - 4 "Good" 16340's / what would you order? And a link would be most helpful. Yeah I think we've about cleared up my confusions here. Thanks.

**EDIT** Almost forgot, these crappy batteries in the photo are definitely button tops / not flat tops. Thanks Again guys.

Last edited:
In getting back into a laser project, and lasers, I started 11 years ago, looking through the box it was in I came across a couple A123 18650s I'd bought about the time. It was a Black & Decker cordless tool battery, like a 6v or something. Think it was like $10 bucks or so at the time.
I just took the wiring off and putting it on my charger and see if it's still any good.
Might be an idea for cells. I trust A123 way over the UltraFire cells that came with my Cool Lasers lasers.

Do you have a link for the gatling laser on Amazon? I tried looking but didn't turn anything up. One of the lasers I got from Cool Lasers was the gatling style. I really like it, would love to find just the housing to build one. Looks like it would be a PITA to get the old components out to retrofit.

burnedup69

In getting back into a laser project, and lasers, I started 11 years ago, looking through the box it was in I came across a couple A123 18650s I'd bought about the time. It was a Black & Decker cordless tool battery, like a 6v or something. Think it was like $10 bucks or so at the time.
I just took the wiring off and putting it on my charger and see if it's still any good.
Might be an idea for cells. I trust A123 way over the UltraFire cells that came with my Cool Lasers lasers.

Do you have a link for the gatling laser on Amazon? I tried looking but didn't turn anything up. One of the lasers I got from Cool Lasers was the gatling style. I really like it, would love to find just the housing to build one. Looks like it would be a PITA to get the old components out to retrofit.

Yeah - it's more or less this one - (Ironically if you zoom in you can clearly see the same blue batteries I posted a picture of and you can see the 1500mAh label too)

**EDIT** it won't let me post the link because I only have 15 posts and must have 20 posts to post links. Just go to Amazon and search for this >

LIANG High Power Blue Flashlight --​

burnedup69

Also, agree with you 100%. The Gatling feels good in the hand and is built solid IMHO. Feels nice. I'd like to be able to break it down , tinker , etc but I probably never will.

Yeah - it's more or less this one - (Ironically if you zoom in you can clearly see the same blue batteries I posted a picture of and you can see the 1500mAh label too)

**EDIT** it won't let me post the link because I only have 15 posts and must have 20 posts to post links. Just go to Amazon and search for this >

LIANG High Power Blue Flashlight --​

That looks to be the exact same one I bought at Cool Lasers, although mine did specify it to be 3000mw. Bought it about 2.5 years ago and paid $120.
I'd also ordered a 100mw 405nm but they sent me a green one instead, so they sent out the 405nm and let me keep the green. I tried taking it apart with little success. Well, success in the fact I got it apart, but little success in using it again! Was going to see if I could remove the components and use them in something different.

Also, FYI, the A123 cells I mentioned, I've never charged them since buying them over a decade ago and have been sitting in a box. I put one on to charge then figured I'd try the other in my 405nm and what do you know, it's still holding a charge!

Edit: In after thought, I like my gatling, but in general it's really too bright. Other than burning a few things with it when I first got it I rarely use it w/o one of the effects lenses. Those it lights up brilliantly! Last 4th I was doing it over the fireworks and was easily visible, was swarmed by kids within seconds lol

Last edited:

burnedup69

That looks to be the exact same one I bought at Cool Lasers, although mine did specify it to be 3000mw. Bought it about 2.5 years ago and paid $120.
I'd also ordered a 100mw 405nm but they sent me a green one instead, so they sent out the 405nm and let me keep the green. I tried taking it apart with little success. Well, success in the fact I got it apart, but little success in using it again! Was going to see if I could remove the components and use them in something different.

Also, FYI, the A123 cells I mentioned, I've never charged them since buying them over a decade ago and have been sitting in a box. I put one on to charge then figured I'd try the other in my 405nm and what do you know, it's still holding a charge!

Edit: In after thought, I like my gatling, but in general it's really too bright. Other than burning a few things with it when I first got it I rarely use it w/o one of the effects lenses. Those it lights up brilliantly! Last 4th I was doing it over the fireworks and was easily visible, was swarmed by kids within seconds lol

Blasphemy. <grin> I want light sabers bro..... lol.

16340 means it's 16mm wide and 34.0mm long and an 18350 is 18mm wide and 35.0mm long.

I mention this because many housings that take 16340 cells will have enough room and spring compression to accommodate 18350 cells which will last longer.

burnedup69

I 100% believe my housing has plenty of "spring" and "play" to fit the ever so slightly bigger 18350's --- but I was afraid to ask or even go down that rabbit hole. --- That settles it for me. I'm willing to roll the dice and *TRY* the 18350's and those links you provided are exactly what I was looking for.
@RedCowboy
You are the freakin' *MAN* ---- I don't care what your momma says. ;) Thank you sooooo much RC.

***EDIT *** / any advice on where to purchase *BLACK* "magician" nitrocelulouse fire paper????

I 100% believe my housing has plenty of "spring" and "play" to fit the ever so slightly bigger 18350's --- but I was afraid to ask or even go down that rabbit hole. --- That settles it for me. I'm willing to roll the dice and *TRY* the 18350's and those links you provided are exactly what I was looking for.
@RedCowboy
You are the freakin' *MAN* ---- I don't care what your momma says. ;) Thank you sooooo much RC.

***EDIT *** / any advice on where to purchase *BLACK* "magician" nitrocelulouse fire paper????
FYI, if you're talking about the gatling laser, mine does not fit an 18mm battery I suspect yours is the same and are limited to 16mm batteries. I just tried putting an 18650 in and doesn't fit diameter wise, length would be fine. Maybe look at 16650s instead, Amazon has them ranging from 1800 to 2500mah.
I also checked length, the two 16340s are pretty much the same length as an 18650 so length certainly won't be an issue.

Last edited: