Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Repair of a partially dead LD

kecked

putting a decanned diode in a non static plastic bag is a bad idea. It could be damaged just by the static in the bag. Has anyone stored a decanned one in nitrogen? Argon or helium would be better as nitrogen is still chemically active. If decanned and resealed in say argon I can’t see why it would not survive but that seal better not let oxygen in. Thinking press fit the diode but screw in a flat window all while in argon. That should work if oxygen and contamination is to blame. I actually think it’s trace organics and not oxygen.

this paper points to water vapor. https://www.researchgate.net/public...uses a,to the laser diode. If the laser diode

Simonas

i think the main factor that effects the diode output power instantly after being de-canned is that air cools down the die itself so maybe the edges of the die don't get total inversion and don't lase. of course that's just a theory of mine that needs to be proven, but i think it can be quite likely because i don't think that oxygen could damage the dye so fast.

kecked

i like the water vapor theory or organic contamination. I have no real idea how or why but am thinking simple semiconductor poisoning.
Oxygen can dope a nitride and water vapor is part of the process. It makes a depletion zone thus killing the junction

Just being a parrot. I really am unsure but the chemistry makes sense.

Green looks to be GaN as well so why are they less affected? Might be how they are cut.