Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Removing A Diode Without Destroying It...

From the moment I built my 445nm build I was skeptical that is was anywhere near 800mW at 800mA, and now I'm sure it's not. It never burned any better than my 6x blu-ray build, any now that my I've finished my LPM I've confirmed it's about the same power at my 6x. It must have been static damage either when it was shipped or when I was building it. Anyways it still does about ~300mW at 800mA so I don't want to destroy it. But I do want to replace it because it is not very efficient.

Here is a picture of the raw output and the main band of light is streaked with dark areas. :cryyy:

DSC09230.jpg

-Tony

You can push it out gently with a rod, but it will only work if you did not press the diode securely. Otherwise you can purchase a tool from another member or find a hollow piece of metal that is wider than the can but smaller than the base.

I used a piece of antenna tube to push diodes out of there modules, but considering the
diode is quite a bit more expensive than the module, why not just buy another module
for the new diode and leave this one in its module for another day.

I used a piece of antenna tube to push diodes out of there modules, but considering the
diode is quite a bit more expensive than the module, why not just buy another module
for the new diode and leave this one in its module for another day.

It's a Ehgemus "direct press" diode host. :(

I'll try the antenna trick. Thanks!

-Tony

Also, I've noticed, since aluminum is a softer metal than steel, it tends to not hold on to the diode as strongly.

I'm just wondering why my stupid diode is so inefficient. :cryyy:

-Tony

Also, I've noticed, since aluminum is a softer metal than steel, it tends to not hold on to the diode as strongly.

Are you saying your diode is being held loosely in the pocket, or is it just an observation spoken out loud.

No it's certainly not "loose", nor can it simply be "pushed out". It just takes a bit less force to press it in and knock it out. Like I said, aluminum is a softer metal than steel, or whatever the Aixiz module is. Actually I think it's nickle coated brass. I might be able to get away with knocking it out buy the can. But I don't think I'll try that.

-Tony

I might be able to get away with knocking it out buy the can. But I don't think I'll try that.

Yeah, probably best not to do that, the can is made of very thin metal and will
buckle, that will only give you more problems like a loose or broken LD window

For diode removal, I machined a piece of 1/4" rod with a 0.124" ID hole to go over the "hat' and turned the outside down to ~0.220" to fit through the Aixiz diode hole. The tip is thin but easily strong enough to push diodes.

I have a 445 diode which puts out about 400 mW at 800 mA too. It has a strange beam output looking like a 405. It gets real hot when PUSHED to 800 mW! Maybe they aren't all winners.

HMike

snypr

Flaminpyro makes a nice press....if memory serves, it was like $15

Once I used a shot 22 shell to remove a diode not the best way or recommended but it worked just cut a section out of the side and made the diameter small enough for me and pushed it right out basically a one time use tho lol

Justin