Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remove module without damaging host!

I bought a 5mw E-Bay thats got all the usual problems. The laser does work. And I kinda would like to save it if possible but Im not so worried about that. I do want to preserve the host so I can place a new module in it.
I took an allen key and slid it to the back of the current module and put it in the vise and gave it all the horsepower I could without bending the host and noticed no movement. I bent the driver board to the point It broke one of the legs off the diode. But I was able to ease it back over and it still works.
Any advise on how to get that sucker to let go? Heat? Acetone? Or should I resort to the ol faithful tempertantrum?:undecided:

It depends on which laser it is. Pictures would help. Or at least a description.
I'd recommend leaving it as is and not breaking it further. There isn't that much you can do to improve a 5mW ebay green.
Just appreciate it as a low power pointer and get something else more powerful.

Also, what are the "usual problems" this laser has?

Last edited:

Blord

Picture of the host will help. I suppose you are talking about the pen lasers.

You need two block of hard wood with a hole in the middle. Put the lasercap in the hole and squeeze it tight with a vice or something. Then pull and twist the pen out.

IMG_4167.JPG

Yeah, thats what the host looks like. It has one of those plastic columnating lenses in the front. The brass part of the module is quite a wayse down in there. I wastrying to push it out from the back to the front so the button diddnt hang on the module.

I'v had about 4-5 pen pointers in the past, and all of them have been impossible to completely open without destroying the host first. you can get the cap of, easy. i find going around the joint (between cap and black bit, there is usually some glue here) with a sharp knife or something, then either putting it in a vice, or getting a thin screwdriver that fit into the hole at the top (without damaging the lens inside) and then using it as a lever works quite well. however, this will just get the cap off, and it is pretty much impossible to take the module out without cutting up the host, i know you dont want to do that, but normal wirecutters work well in shredding it up

I bought one of the 12mm 200mw modules off of E-Bay that I made a pistol out of. Balloon poppin dude. I just recieved my driver, Axiz housing and lenses, and Jigantopus heatsink for a 1.5w blue. Diod and goggles on the way. My 532 goggles dont go down far enough for the 445.
But thats why I wanted a 5mw. So I could play with it around my friends. Till I get a few more sets of goggles.
The 12mm diode will slip right in the E-Bay host and I know they are under powered, so I thought I would orded a little higher powered one, as long as its 3v, and slide in this host.

The method blord posted will work.

I just wrap the silver tip with a strip of cardboard (the kind from soda boxes and stuff) then put it in the vice and wiggle it until it comes out. No scratches and no knives. It's real easy.

@RA_peirce, that will remove the cap,as far as i know unless you use brute force (and probably will end up destroying the module ) the laser module inside does not come out

Gosh, I diddnt expect yall to jump in there to help me like that so fast. Thank you, everybdy, Im gonna just keep it working for now.The main part of my budget is going toward the 1.5'er anyway. Once again thank ya'll!!!

@RA_peirce, that will remove the cap,as far as i know unless you use brute force (and probably will end up destroying the module ) the laser module inside does not come out

Yes, that depends on the type of "newwish" laser (newwish is the brand).

As far as I know, there are two.
One has a short, wide cap. This version has a plastic lens in a black plastic mount with a brass module.

The other has an all brass module with a glass lens. The module is threaded into the cap, so removing the cap will also free the module. This version is the one I get from DX. It is better quality IMO.

If the laser in question is the former, it can be pressed out with a lot of force. The last time I disassembled one it was glued in. I used a metal tube that fit around the driver.